This was a two platform station. The two storey station building remains as a house in what was the northbound platform. It has crow stepped gables typical of stations on the line. The building style was also employed at Auchterarder, Dunblane, Forteviot and numerous other Scottish Central Railway and Caledonian Railway locations.
There was a waiting room on the opposite platform and footbridge to the west of both buildings.
North of the station are loops controlled by a signal box (replaced 1891) on the south side of the line about midway along the loops. There was a goods yard on the north side of the line, approached from the east, the connection being the west end of the northbound loop. There were also saw mill sidings to the north of the goods yard.
The box remains in use, often switched out, however the loops and facing crossover have been taken out of use with removal of some points, diamond crossings and rail lengths.
Bridge of Allan [1st]
Menstrie and Glenochil
Bridge of Allan
| Ashfield Siding|
Ashfield Signal Box
Laigh Hill Tunnel
Springbank Mill Siding
Ardoch Roman Fort
Battle of Sheriffmuir Monument
Blackford Old Parish Church
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|22/05/1848||Scottish Central Railway|
Opened from Stirling to Perth. Stations at: Bridge of Allan [1st], Dunblane, Kinbuck, Greenloaning, Auchterarder, Dunning, Forteviot, Forgandenny, Perth General.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)