This was an island platform station. There was a goods yard on the east side, approached by a reversing spur south of the station. Access to the island platform was by footbridge. The signal box was south of the station building on the platform.
The station was in farmed countryside. No village or town developed around it and the location remains lowly populated. The railway was more the product of inter-company rivalries between the Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway than something actually needed.
To the north was Loudounhill Viaduct. To the south the line turned east to reach the boundary between the Glasgow and South Western Railway and the Caledonian Railway (County Boundary Junction).
To the east, land was taken for two lines, but only the westbound was laid.
The signal box closed in 1909 when it was replaced with a ground frame.
The station closed to passengers in 1939 and the line was closed, although use was made of it to store redundant stock afterwards.
The station site has been largely cleared and is now in use by a farm. A shed occupies the site of the platform.
(The location is sometimes spelled Loudonhill.)
The station may have enjoyed some tourist traffic as the Battle of Loudoun Hill was fought nearby, to the east. Robert the Bruce won against an English army here in 1307.
Loudoun Hill itself is to the north east.
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
| Loudounhill Viaduct|
County Boundary Junction
Glen Water Viaduct
End of Darvel Branch
Darvel Goods [East]
End of Galston Branch
Newmilns Works (Vesuvius)
Stoneygate Pit Siding - Newmilns Coal Depot
Loudon Colliery Pit No 3
Strath Pit Siding
Maxwood Signal Box
Maxwood Colliery Pit No 1
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1904||Darvel and Strathaven Railway|
Darvel to County Boundary Junction (east of Loudounhill) authorised to be transferred to the Glasgow and South Western Railway. The Caledonian Railway retains running powers.