Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Served by the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway.
This dyeing works was on the east bank of the River Leven. It was opened by Todd & Shortridge Co in 1772. From 1863 it was served by a branch of the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway which ran south from Jamestown station and also served the Dalmonach Print Works.
The works was initially constrained by the river and road to its east. It was expanded east by Archibald Orr Ewing around the 1850s with a tunnel below the road. The tunnel was, from 1863, to carry the railway below the road. Archibald Orr Ewing was heavily involved in the opening of the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway.
The works closed in 1919. The riverside site is landscaped and tunnel filled in. The eastern portion is now a sawmill.
| Milton Works (Dyeing)|
Alexandria Works (Printing and dyeing)
Jamestown Viaduct [Balloch]
Levenbank Print Works
Croftengea Signal Box
Dalmonach Print Works
Gas Works (Vale of Leven Gas Co)
Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]
Ferryfield Print Works
Vale of Leven Hospital
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)