Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Lesmahagow Railway.
This was a two platform station with small buildings and a footbridge at the south end. The station did not open with the line which was originally single track but progressively doubled (line opened 1856 and station 1866).
The building of the station severed the road here at what had been a level crossing and a new road bridge was provided to the south east to let the road cross the line. This bridge still exists (update - bridge removed to facilitate further house building).
The signal box was at the north end of the southbound platform. The main station building was on the northbound platform and there was a footbridge.
Bentrigg Colliery opened to the south west of the station, approached from the north.
The signal box became just a ground frame in 1939, replaced with a ground frame in 1940 when the line was singled.
The station closed to passengers in 1951. The line closed altogether in 1960.
A siding to the north of the station, on the east side of the line and approached from the south, kept the line open here briefly after closure of the line to the south.
Nothing remains of the station itself, the site is now housing.
The main purpose of this line was to convey coal and there were colliery lines both north and south of the station.
Craignethan Weighs Signal Box
Hill Colliery Signal Box
Longlee Colliery No 3 Pit
Longlee Colliery No 1 Pit
Longlee Colliery No 2 Pit
Longlee Signal Box
Woodside Colliery No 1 Pit
Longlee Colliery No 4 Pit
Woodside Colliery No 2 Pit
Canderigg Colliery Nos 4 and 5
Woodside No 3 Pit
Annabella or Threepwoodbank
Swinhill Colliery No 4 Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Blackwood Junction (excluded) to Southfield Junction to Dalserf Junction (excluded) closed to freight. Netherburn and Tillietudlem closed to goods.