Nith Viaduct

Location type


Name and dates

Nith Viaduct (1859-2002)

Opened on the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway.


This is an eleven arch double track viaduct; five of 30ft at the east end and six over the river of 50ft at the west end.

The bridge carried the Dumfries to Stranraer Harbour line, the 'Port Road', which was originally the branch to Castle Douglas.

Following closure of the Port Road it carried a single track line to Maxwelltown and Maxwelltown Factory Siding until 2002. The bridge is now footpath and viaduct renamed 'Queen of the South Viaduct'.

The engineer was John Miller.


Viaduct Nith Viaduct footpath

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


Listing: B


The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn