Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Dunfermline and Queensferry Railway.
This was the terminus of the Dunfermline and Queensferry Railway at the Queensferry railway pier, immediately west of the town pier.
Not far to the north of the station the line entered the St Margarets Tunnel.
The station was approached from the north by a single track line. There was a loop and goods yard on the east side. The single platform and station building was on the west side. The goods yard was on reclaimed ground and passenger line ran a short way onto the pier. The signal box, opened with the line, was on the east side of the line, to the north of the road bridge over the line.
Ferries operated over the Firth of Forth to Port Edgar pier and station (opened 1878).
The station closed in 1890 with the opening of the Forth Bridge and the new North Queensferry station. The box closed in 1892, replaced with a ground frame.
The goods yard remained in use until 1954.
The pier and former goods yard area remain. Both are in use as a boatyard.
South Queensferry [1st]
South Queensferry Halt
| Forth Bridge North Signal Box|
St Margaret^s Tunnel
North Queensferry Tunnel
Ferryhills Signal Box
Jamestown Viaduct [Inverkeithing]
Ferry Toll Tunnel
Port Laing Submarine Mines Depot
Carlingnose Submarine Mining Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Edinburgh To Inverkeithing.: including The Port Edgar, North Queensferry And Rosyth Dockyard Branches. (Scottish Main Lines.)