Paisley Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Paisley Junction (1841-1888)

Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway.


This junction was at the west end of Paisley station (renamed Paisley Gilmour Street in 1883). It is sometimes also referred to as 'Stoneybrae Junction'. This was an end on junction between the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway and the junction between the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway and Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.

Paisley Gilmour Street was originally a small two platform station with the junction to the west.

There was a turntable in the 'V' of the junction.

The original goods yard was at the west end of the station and east of the junction. This was a very small yard approached from the west and on the south side.

West of the junction, the on the G&SWR, was the small Ayrshire Coal Depot. This was a small yard on the south side, approached from the west. The looped (north side) and dead end sidings (south side) began to the west at Stoneybrae Signal Box. The east end was controlled by 'Stoneybrae North' box, very close to Paisley Junction.

The station was rebuilt in 1888 and the line to Glasgow quadrupled. Two new platforms opened at the station, added to the north of the existing platforms, and the Greenock route was diverted by these platforms. The new junction, to the east, was at Wallneuk Junction. The original goods yard was absorbed into the passenger station enlargement by the rebuilding.

A connection between the lines was retained to the west, via a short headshunt, at Stoneybrae Twin Signal Box. This box replaced Paisley Junction and Stoneybrae North signal boxes.