Rossie Viaduct

Location type

Bridge

Name and dates

Rossie Viaduct (1881-)

Opened on the North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway.

Description

This is a 17 arch single track red brick viaduct. It connects Ferryden to Rossie Island crossing the southern of two outlets from Montrose Basin. Also known as Inchbraoch Viaduct. Designed by Thomas Bouch. The viaduct is 903 ft long overall and 58 ft high.

Much infilling and land recovery of this watercourse has closed it, the channel to the north of Rossie Island (crossed by the South Esk Viaduct) is now the only outlet from the basin. The southern channel was the smaller of the two. However the viaduct still crosses water as the channel has not been filled directly below it.

The viaduct was built around 1878 but the line was not brought into use immediately as the nearby original Thomas Bouch designed girder South Esk Viaduct was tested to destruction and replaced. The line opened in 1881.

Tags

Viaduct

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map

Facilities

Listing: B


Books


The Montrose & Bervie Railway: A Study of Transport in South-East Kincardineshire 1770-1966