Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Polloc and Govan Railway.
This was a two platform station west of Farmeloan Road. The main building was on the westbound platform.
In 1861 a new branch opened north to Bridgeton [1st]. This was extended north to London Road [Glasgow] in 1877. This did not carry passengers until 1879. The branch was not served by the existing Rutherglen station.
Meanwhile in 1872 an Act gave permission to quadruple the line between Gushetfaulds and Rutherglen. This was not long after the opening of the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway) in 1865 and traffic level had no doubt increased. In addition London Road [Glasgow had opened to passengers in 1879.
The station was relocated east to Rutherglen [2nd] on the east side of Farmeloan Roadin 1879
Nothing remains of this early 1st station, obliterated by subsequent railway construction.
London Road [Glasgow]
| Rutherglen Carriage Sidings|
Farme Colliery Junction
Rutherglen Central Junction
Rutherglen North Junction [1st]
Rutherglen West Junction
Rutherglen Training School
Rutherglen North Junction
Clyde Patent Wire Rope Works
Rutherglen Permanent Way Depot
Clydeford Chemical Works
Clydebridge Junction [Rutherglen]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways