This junction was east of Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] station. The 1864 Stonehouse branch of the Lesmahagow Railway was met by the Merryton Junction to Stonehouse section of the 1905 Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway).
The line through the station was doubled for the new line. Both lines were single track, doubling before the junction. The signal box, opened with the junction, was on the south side of the junction and on the east side of Lawrie Street.
The approach from Dalserf closed in 1935. The east box closed in 1943 when the box at Stonehouse West Junction took over. The east end of the loop was moved west a little, shortening the loop.
The station closed to passengers in 1965 and signalling was removed. The railway closed in 1968/69.
The trackbed is now occupied by the Stonehouse bypass, the A71 and the A71 crosses the Cander Water to the east by a bridge on the site of the former railway viaduct. The trackbed of the new line north has been ploughed out as far as the Stonehouse Viaduct, the pier of which still stand. Almost nothing remains of Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] station due to the A71, but a portion of platform remains, much overgrown, on the north side.
| Stonehouse West Junction|
Stonehouse South Junction
Cander Water Viaduct
Overwood Quarry Siding
Avondale Colliery No 2 Pit
Cot Castle Goods
Canderside Colliery Nos 6 and 7
Canderside Exchange Sidings
Cot Castle [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1897||Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Merryton Junction via Larkhall Central to Stonehouse East Junction authorised. Previously authorised Lanark Loop abandoned.
|/ /1901||Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Merryton Junction via Larkhall Central to Stonehouse East Junction, extension of time to complete.
Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] (Stonehouse East Junction) to Dalserf (Dalserf Junction) closed to passengers.
Stonehouse East Junction to Canderside Exchange Sidings closed to freight.