This is a four track viaduct, currently carrying two tracks. It is also known as the Clydebridge Viaduct, although this name is also used for a viaduct on the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway) and at Rutherglen.
The viaduct was rebuilt in 1902, the original double track bridge being replaced. The engineer was William Melville. The viaduct has stone-clad cast iron piers, crosses Adelphi Street with a 64 ft girder, crosses the River Clyde with five 57 ft wrought-iron arches, and Clyde Street with a 64 ft girder which supports Clyde Junction [CGU], junction for Glasgow St Enoch.
The piers are octagonal in shape with battlements. Those on either side of the river are larger, extended above the bridge deck like towers.
The viaduct was cleaned and restored in 1991.
The original viaduct also had seven spans.
After the closure of Glasgow St Enoch to passengers in 1966 the line was reduced to a double track. These lines are on the east side of the viaduct.
Glasgow St Enoch
St Enoch [Subway]
Main Street Gorbals
Bridge Street [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
South Side [GB and NDR]
South Side [CR]
| Clyde Junction [CGU]|
St Enoch Locomotive Depot
Clyde Place Signal Box
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central] [1st]
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central]
Bridge Street Junction [South]
St Johns Junction
Clyde Place Quay
Bridge Street Junction
St Enoch Shopping Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|02/06/1870||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
First bridge over the River Clyde in central Glasgow opened, Union Bridge.
|/ /1898||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Glasgow St Enoch to Port Eglinton Junction quadrupled, complete with Union Bridge (over the Clyde) rebuilt to accommodates 4 tracks.