Cathcart West Junction: Cathcart station & west junction. Inner Circle train arriving.
Eastfield Shed: Reid ex-NB class D33 4-4-0 no 62466 photographed at Eastfield in April 1949. For details see image [].
Eastfield Shed: Reid ex-NB class D33 4-4-0 no 62466 in black with new lining at Eastfield in April 1949. Twelve of the class were built at Cowlairs in 1909-10 but were quickly superseded by the D34 'Glen' 4-4-0s. This particular D33 ended its career at Dunfermline in late 1951, with the last example of the class withdrawn by the end of 1953.
Eastfield Shed: LNER C16 4-4-2T no 7500 passing Eastfield shed on 9 April 1949 with a train for Kilsyth.
Eastfield Shed: Reid D29 4-4-0 62411 Lady of Avenel in LNER green livery at Eastfield in April 1949.
Cowlairs North Junction: Gresley K2 2-6-0 no 1776 about to run through Cowlairs North Junction on 9 April 1949 with a West Highland train.
Auchnagatt: BR Standard 2-6-4 tank 80004 calls at Auchnagatt on 9 April 1955.
Cowlairs Incline: D11 'Director' 4-4-0 no 62675 Colonel Gardiner photographed on Cowlairs incline in the spring of 1955 with a Fife train.
Maud: LMS 2P 4-4-0 40603 at Maud in April 1955 with a train for Peterhead.
Auchnagatt: BR Standard tank 80020 calls at Auchnagatt on 9 April 1955 with an Aberdeen bound train.
Edinburgh Waverley: One of a batch of 18 new EE Type 4 locomotives delivered to Gateshead MPD just a few days earlier, no D243 makes an appearance at Waverley on 9 April 1960 with the up Flying Scotsman. Is that a bullion coach immediately behind the locomotive? [With thanks to Bill Jamieson] Update - from Dave Franks 'the coach behind the loco is an LNE Thompson 'matchboard' full brake built post war. It is still available as a kit in 4mm scale.'
Hyndland Depot: For a few years after the electrics were introduced, the headshunt from Hyndland's electric depot usually had a J37 on display, which I assume was occasionally used to move units about (though I don't think I ever actually saw that happen!). This view, on 9th April 1963, shows 64558 and a 'blue electric' unit.
Hyndland Depot: For a few years after the electrics were introduced, the headshunt from Hyndland's electric depot usually had a J37 on display, which I assume was occasionally used to move units about (though I don't think I ever actually saw that happen!). (In the later years of the depot a 303 remained at the end of this siding year after year, visible from the station.)
Melrose: Rugby 'sevens day' at Melrose was always a busy occasion for the railway - but the field of parked cars on the left betrays the extent to which Borderers were forsaking the railway in favour of private transport. Here, on 9th April 1965, a DMU forms an afternoon service - possibly an additional working to cope with the extra demand - heading towards Edinburgh.
Melrose: A four-coach DMU from Edinburgh approaches Melrose on rugby Sevens day, Saturday 9th April 1965. The historic Melrose Abbey, dating from 1136, stands centre left directly above the rear of the train. Use of the more economical DMUs on the Waverley Route north of Hawick was restricted to weekend and seasonal workings.
Melrose: An empty car train passing south through Melrose on Saturday 9th April 1965.
Buchanan Street: V2 no 60919 with the ubiquitous Scottish Rambler No 5, seen at Buchanan Street on 9 April 1966. The V2 made it as far as Falkirk Grahamston where valve-gear problems resulted in its replacement by D6115, which took the train on to Dunfermline Lower.
Montrose [CR]: J37 no 64620 with Scottish Rambler no 5 at Montrose (CR) on 9 April 1966. From here the railtour headed for Broomfield Junction and the Inverbervie branch.
Liff: Scottish Rambler no 5 behind 64620 on a photostop at Liff on 9 April 1966 during a visit to Dundee's Maryfield branch. Liff, which had lost its passenger service in 1955, stood on the western outskirts of the city on the branch from Ninewells Junction and was opened in 1861. The branch closed completely in June 1967, along with Maryfield goods depot.
Ascot: The LCGB Hampshire Branch Lines Railtour of 9th April 1967 from Waterloo utilised ten different steam locomotives over the course of the day. The photograph shows BR Standard class 4 2-6-0 no 76031 about to leave Ascot with the Aldershot leg of the tour.
Fawley: USA 0-6-0 tanks 30064+30069 at Fawley on 9 April 1967 with the LCGB Hampshire Branch Lines Rail Tour. The pair had taken over the special from 34057 at Southampton Central.
Ascot: Bulleid West Country Pacific no 34025 Whimple stands at the head of the LCGB Hampshire Branch Lines Rail Tour at Ascot station on 9 April 1967. The Pacific had brought in the special from Brockenhurst and was about to hand over to BR Standard class 4 2-6-0 no 76031, which would handle the next leg as far as Aldershot.
Lymington Pier: 41320 waiting to leave Lymington Pier for Brockenhurst on 9 April 1967 on a leg of the LCGB Hampshire Branch Lines Railtour. 80151 was at the other end of the train on this occasion, having hauled the outward trip.
Fawley: USA 0-6-0T locomotives 30064+30069 replenishing their tanks in the sidings alongside the UKs largest oil refinery at Fawley on Southampton Water. The visit was part of the LCGB Hampshire Branch Lines Rail Tour on 9 April 1967, with the pair having brought in the special on the leg from Southampton Central.
Fawley: General view of the sidings at Fawley in April 1967 as USA 0-6-0T locomotives 30064+30069 pause to take on water during the LCGB Hampshire Branch Lines Rail Tour. The pair would take the train as far as Totton before handing over to 80151 for the next leg to Brockenhurst and Lymington Pier.
Lymington Pier: Ivatt 2MT no 41320 (with 80151 at the rear) takes over the LCGB Hampshire Branch Lines Railtour at Lymington Pier station on 9 April 1967. The train will shortly depart on the next leg of the tour to Brockenhurst.
Salisbury: Bulleid Battle of Britain Pacific 34057 Biggin Hill takes over the LCGB Hampshire Branch Lines railtour at Salisbury on 9 April 1967 for the next leg to Southampton Central.
Marchwood: Photostop at Marchwood on the Southampton Central - Fawley branch on 9 April 1967 for the LCGB 'Hampshire Branch Lines Rail Tour'. USA 0-6-0 tanks 30069+30064 had taken charge for this section of the tour.
Salisbury: The LCGB Hampshire Branch Lines railtour at Salisbury on 9 April 1967. Bulleid Battle of Britain Pacific 34057 Biggin Hill has just taken over from 35023 which had brought in the special from Waterloo.
St Leonards Bridge Junction: The 08.35 from Birmingham New Street headed by class 50 no 436 is within sight of its final destination as it approaches Perth station close to its scheduled arrival time of 16.25 on the afternoon of Thursday 9th April 1970.
Perth: A pair of class 24 locomotives, nos. 5118 and 5117, about to leave Perth with the 11.25 Inverness - Glasgow Queen Street train on 9th April 1970.
St Leonards Bridge Junction: NBL class 29 no 6123 continues on its journey to Glasgow Queen Street as it pulls away from Perth station on 9 April 1970 with the 15.40 ex-Dundee. See image []
Perth: The 15.40 Dundee - Glasgow Queen Street train with class 29 No. 6123 in charge makes its scheduled stop at Perth station on 9th April 1970. The all-over yellow ends did nothing for the looks of this particular class. See image [] This was the first of the class to be re-engine and be converted from a class 21 to 29 but unlike the other re-engined locomotives did not receive a headcode display.
St Leonards Bridge Junction: Class 24s nos 5116+5126 slow for the Perth stop at the head of the 14.55 Edinburgh - Inverness train on 9 April 1970.
Cardross: Class 303 unit 056 leads a six car train westbound towards Cardross on 09 April 1974. The location is near to Ferry Road bridge, with the River Clyde to the right.
Felixstowe: Although fading fast by the late 1970s, Felixstowe (formerly Felixstowe Town) station still possessed a measure of its former grandeur in April 1977. Fortunately, most of this architecture can still be appreciated, but in the context of a shopping centre, supermarket and car park. The trains now stop well short of the original terminus.
Felixstowe Beach: Looking north east over the level crossing towards Felixstowe Beach station in April 1977, around a decade after the passenger service (latterly summer season only) had ended. The wooden station building was eventually demolished on Easter Sunday 2004 despite attempts being made to list it for its architectural and historical merit. The line is still very busy with container traffic to the port.
Woolmet Colliery: A spring 1982 view north over the trackbed of the Niddrie & Benhar Coal Company (later NCB) branch from Niddrie to Woolmet Colliery, closed in 1966. Most of the sleepers seem to have been left in place. The site is not far north of the colliery.
Niddrie Yard: The remains of Niddrie West yard on 9 April 1982. The connection to NCB Niddrie Landsale Yard has recently been lifted and the signalbox has been demolished. See image []
Haymarket Shed [2nd]: 26011 and 27018 inside the main shed at Haymarket on 9 April 1983.
Firsby East Junction: The famous Firsby Curve, built by the GNR in 1881, linked the East Lincolnshire Railway to the Wainfleet and Firsby and allowed through running of trains from the East Midlands to Skegness. The other East Lincolnshire lines, and Firsby station, closed in 1970 and have been swept away in the flat farming landscape leaving just the long branch from Boston to Skegness with that sharp curve that is such a feature of railway maps. 156402 slowly negotiates the curve as it heads for Boston and beyond.
Chengde: The Chengde branch line north of Beijing feeds coal to a local steel mill. The train is in the process of climbing a five mile 1:75 gradient. See image []
Dalmeny Junction: Unbranded Turbostar heads north at Dalmeny on 09 April 2004
Back O Loch Halt: Bridge carrying Industry Road in Kirkintilloch. According to the Kirkintilloch Town Plan of 1859 the building you see is the United Original Secession Manse
Back O Loch Halt: Looking under the Rail Bridge at Industry Street... notice the old communication equipment
Back O Loch Halt: Unfortunately the inevitable rubbish is slowly amounting. It is important to note that a small stream has taken shape here
Edinburgh Waverley: New through platform construction underway on the north side of Waverley opposite platform 19 on Sunday 9 April 2006.
Newcraighall: 37410 passing Newcraighall en route to Millerhill on 9 April.
Tay Viaduct [Perth]: Eastbound 170 halfway across the wee Tay bridge. The river splits in two for Moncrieff Island seen under the piers.
Newburgh [2nd]: Newburgh goods yard has been cleared and a ballast covering laid.
Tay Viaduct [Perth]: A turbostar on a Glasgow to Aberdeen service passes over the Wee Tay Bridge at Perth.
Crawford Viaduct: LMS 6233 crossing Crawford viaduct on 9 April 2007 with The Great Britain bound for Glasgow
Newburgh [2nd]: Looking east up the former Newburgh station loop past the canopy of the old station.
Lyne Viaduct: Warding off evil.. Cross in viaduct to stop witches & spirits crossing the water.
Lyne: Lyne Station Buildings (Private House now) complete with original platform.
Lyne: Lyne platform.. at least the owners have kept the originality of the grounds.
Lyne Viaduct: Lyne Viaduct in its glory.
Settle Junction: 144003 passes Settle Junction box while working from Morecambe to Skipton on 9th April 2007.
Lyne Viaduct: Looking very new... surely this has not been up since 17th Feb 1942???
Lyne Viaduct: The end of the public footpath at Lyne Station.
Abington: A passing Pendolino gives a long and loud salute to the stately old lady as Duchess of Sutherland replenishes her tender in the down loop at Abington on 9 April 2007 with the 'Great Britain' railtour.
Abington: 6233 is routed into the Abington down loop on 9 April with The Great Britain railtour to take water. The locomotive is passing the road tanker which arrived 20 minutes earlier from Penrith where it had undertaken the same task.
Abington: The Great Britain arrives at Abington on the evening of 9 April 2007 behind 6233, in fine misty rain and rapidly fading light.
Scout Green: Working hard on the climb up to the site of Scout Green station (behind camera) from Tebay. Weather Hill and Tebay Fell provide a backdrop.
Alloa: Scene at Alloa on 9 April 2008, with less than 6 weeks to go before the commencement of scheduled passenger services over the reopened line. First Scotrail 158735 is seen here shortly after leaving the platform on a route familiarisation trip to Stirling. The train is about to pass the site of the original S&D Alloa station (1850 - 1968).
Stirling Forth Viaduct [SandD]: Looking south west towards Stirling in April 2008. The ScotRail 158 has just crossed the Forth Viaduct on its way along the recently reopened S&D route towards Alloa. The train is on a crew training run, with scheduled passenger services between Stirling and Alloa not due to commence for another 6 weeks.
Stirling Forth Viaduct [SandD]: Running past the Stirling County RFC grounds, a First ScotRail 158 is about to cross the Forth on the NB viaduct on 9 April 2008. The Caledonian viaduct carrying the Stirling - Perth line stands alongside. The 158 is on a return familiarisation working along the recently reopened S&DR route from Alloa.
Causewayhead: View across the meandering upper reaches of the River Forth towards Stirling Castle on 9 April 2008 as a First ScotRail 158 heads west towards Stirling station along the line from Alloa on a driver training run a month prior to the recommencement of passenger services.
Alloa: First ScotRail 158 735 rejoins the main line at Alloa Station Junction on 9 April 2008 for the return run to Stirling on a route familiarisation trip.
Uddingston: Royal Scot 46115 Scots Guardsman runs through Uddingston station on 9 April 2009 with the 'Great Britain II' railtour.
Oxenholme: 46115 Scots Guardsman pulls its 11 coaches out of Oxenholme down loop on 9 April 2009 to continue its journey north with the Preston to Glasgow leg of the Great Britain II railtour.
Kingussie: Under a leaden sky 61994 The Great Marquess with a support coach approaching Kingussie on its way to Inverness. This engine is due to haul a special to Kyle of Lochalsh on Saturday 11/04/09.
Gleneagles: HST set in full National Express East Coast livery heads north, bound for Inverness, on 9 April 2009. Photographed just south of Gleneagles.
Leyland: Heading north to Glasgow in preparation for the Great Britain II railtour leg from Glasgow to Inverness on the 10th are Black 5 pairing of 45231 The Sherwood Forester and 45407 The Lancashire Fusilier. They are seen passing Leyland at 0739 hrs on 09 April 2009.
Heversham: Heversham was a halt on the partly single line link from Hincaster Junction to Arnside and closed in 1942, although trains passed through for a further 21 years. The simple low platform was sited on the right of this picture near the point where the A6 crosses the trackbed on a bridge. Map Reference SD 498827
Preston: 46115 Scots Guardsman passing Preston Maudland at the start of the Glasgow leg of the Great Britain II railtour on 9 April 2009. Amazing the number of cameras that appeared from the pockets of hi-vis orange jackets as the special passed by.
Oxenholme: Branch line connection made. Windermere bound Transpennine unit 185143 waits under the trainshed at Oxenholme as a Pendolino stops in the Up line platform. The Windermere branch drops down to Kendal from the junction before its scenic climb to the terminus.
Oxenholme: As 390008 leaves Oxenholme for Euston a Voyager stops, on its way to Scotland, to connect with the Windermere branch train. The line in the foreground is the branch connection with the down line. The camber of the main line tracks as they curve through the station can clearly be seen.
Fylde Junction: Britannia Pacific no 70013 Oliver Cromwell lifts The Great Britain III (Day 4) out of Preston passing the power box at the start of the leg to Glasgow via Shap and Beattock. The Britannia was standing in for Scots Guardsman which remains 'indisposed'.
Girvan: The bridge carrying the line over the A77 at the north end of Girvan station is to be replaced. The project is planned to be completed over 5 days with demolition of the current structure scheduled to commence on 16 April. The bridge is seen here looking east on 9 April 2010. See image []
Forth Bridge: 67021 with the 1712 Edinburgh - Fife circle train, taken from North Queensferry (Old) Station site on 9 April.
Big Water of Fleet Viaduct: The Big Water of Fleet Viaduct in the evening sun on 9 April 2010. The original granite piers were reinforced with brick outer casings and the arches with old rails between 1927 and 1945 to enable the viaduct to cope with increasingly heavy trains.
Girvan Goods Junction: The scheduled 14.34 arrival at Girvan on the northern approach to the station on 9 April.
Lockerbie: Britannia Pacific 70013 Oliver Cromwell leaving Lockerbie with The Great Britain III after taking on water in the loop south of the station.
Turnberry: The northern abutment of the MDLR bridge over the A77 just south of Turnberry Station in 2010. See image []
Forth Bridge: 67018 Keith Heller coming off the Forth Bridge on 9 April 2010 with the 17.21 Edinburgh - Cardenden service.
Larbert: Passing trains at Larbert station on 9 April 2010.
Girvan: The station approach at Girvan on 9 April 2010 - the bicycle lockers have been removed! See image []
Turnberry: The southern abutment of the MDLR bridge over the A77 just south of Turnberry Station in 2010. See image []
James Watt Dock: The viaduct at James Watt Dock, as seen from the A8 on 9 April 2010. The old viaduct is slated for demolition if plans for the development of new housing and business accommodation at the James Watt Dock receive approval.
Rhu: GBRf Class 66 No 66714 Cromer Lifeboat takes Alcan tanks north at Rhu on the West Highland Line on 9 April 2010. It will shortly pass the returning southbound tanks at Garelochhead around 19.30.
Cupar: 170 426 arives at Cupar station with a Dundee to Edinburgh semi-fast on 9 April 2011.
Slateford: 322481 enters Slateford with the 18.26 Edinburgh Waverley - Glasgow Central service on 9 April.
Bo'ness: Scene in the yard at Boness on Saturday 9 April 2011.
Manuel High Level: Running round a train from Boness at Manuel on 9 April 2011.
Tay Bridge: It is 31 years since I photographed the central section of the Tay Bridge from a train travelling north during my Easter holiday from school see image []. Now we have the view from a southbound train, taken on 9 April 2011. At this rate I can expect to have both views of the north end by the year 2073. Please do bear with me.
Dundee West Goods: Dundee is of course well outside the SPT boundary, but visits from an SPT liveried 170 are not uncommon: especially combined with a Scotrail liveried 158 on Sunday. This may well be what is in mind for this set seen at Dundee West sidings on Saturday 9 April 2011. In the immediate foreground is the Tay Bridge line and beyond it, the way to Perth.
Dundee: As part of the ambitious Dundee Waterside Development the station is scheduled to be rebuilt further west. This however is a long-term plan and you still have a few years (or maybe quite a lot of years) to either put up with or admire - depending on your point of view - the present street buildings, seen here in April 2011. That 'Station' road sign seems to be aimed at drivers so short-sighted they shouldn't be driving.
Dundee: 170 433 pulls into Dundee platform 4 with a Glasgow to Aberdeen service on 9 April 2011.
Caprington Junction: The grandly titled (on one O/S map at least) Caprington Junction on the Fairlie Branch, photographed looking sou'-sou'-west on 09 April, 2011. This 'junction' consisted of a set of points out in the fields, the line continuing straight ahead to the sou'-sou'-west to Fortacres Bridge (or the 'Bridge to nowhere') over the B751 at the end of the line, although there were several small pits adjacent to the road with rail connections in the early years (the branch opened on 26 February, 1849). The line curving to the left swung round to the northeast and crossed the road which passed under Bridge No 2 on the level at Earlston, where there was a small goods yard, before continuing on to Blacksyke Pit and limekilns (ruins of which are now in the middle of Caprington Golf Course) and beyond. The longest surviving pits on the branch were located on sidings to the south of the branch between Caprington Junction and Earlston, the branch itself finally closed on 07 April, 1951, having gone out of use during November, 1950.
Manuel: Scene at the Boness and Kinneil terminus at Manuel on Saturday 9 April 2011 with 27001 about to return having run round its train from Boness.
RAF Leuchars: Looking south west across the A919 towards Leuchars North Junction in April 2011 from the boundary with RAF Leuchars. The main line runs just beyond the vegetation and Leuchars station is a few hundred yards to the left. Behind the camera is a fence and MOD property and, of course, unwise to photograph without permission but it's safe to report that if this view gives the impression that there's lots of track behind the camera then it's illusory as there's none at all! This was the start of the Tayport Loop which lost its passenger services through Leuchars (Old) station as long ago as 1921, though the connection with RAF Leuchars survived until the early 1990s. See image []
Ladybank: The track configuration at Ladybank Junction means that trains coming off the Perth line have to use the Down line for a couple of hundred yards, and so, if calling at Ladybank, use the 'wrong' platform. This 6-car 170 with an Perth to Edinburgh service is doing just that on 9 April. This is the third scheduled southbound service in 13 minutes! A quiet north Fife village can't enjoy that level of service all day of course, but like some other Scottish stations it probably sees more trains now than it ever has.
Leuchars: 170 450 pulls out of the rather exposed station at Leuchars with an Inverurie service on 9 April. Notice that despite this being an island station the the platforms don't end together. This isn't compensated for at the southern end: in fact it's repeated making the Up platform a fair bit shorter than the Down. It's still big enough for the longest service trains, but you do wonder what they had in mind here.
Dundee: It is claimed than Dundee is the only surface network station in Britain which is below sea level. I can't guarantee its uniqueness, but its depth is certainly plausible: it's in a cutting only 100 yards from a sea wall lapped by the Firth of Tay, and could well be below the high tide mark. On 9 April 170 419 takes an Aberdeen to Glasgow service out of Platform 1. Above it, through the shrubbery, is a ship's mast (of RRS Discovery): another bit of evidence.
Bo'ness: Preserved Swindon class 126 DMU in the yard at Boness on 9 April 2011. These units first appeared on Edinburgh - Glasgow services in 1957, operating from Leith Central depot, with later additions to the fleet appearing in Ayrshire in 1959. The last scheduled 126 services operated in early 1983. See image [].
Kirkcaldy: This relic of bottom-end railway architecture looks like something you'd come across on a long-lifted branch. In fact it's just off the Down platform at Kirkcaldy in April 2011. My guess is that it was an inflammables store (oil for signal lamps?) placed just far enough out of harms way, and that it's never been worth the cost and bother of removing it.
Peak Forest: Looking south over what was once the Midland Railway mainline from Manchester to London at Peak Forest on 9 April 2012 as 66143 moves empty wagons off the mainline past Peak Forest South SB. Peak Forest station building is out of shot to the right of the photograph and is still in use as offices for DB Schenker.
Peak Forest: To the south of the former Peak Forest station, a number of DB locomotives are stabled as a Class 66 enters the picture from the right with a rake of bogie hopper wagons. In the middle of the picture is Peak Forest South Signalbox.
Peak Forest: Looking north from the road bridge over the former Midland mainline at Peak Forest on a damp 8th April 2012. Empty wagons lined up waiting to be filled sitting in the sidings on the right while those on the left are on the down line. The remnants of Peak Forest station are behind the camera.
Peak Forest: The former station building at Peak Forest, which when the photo was taken in 2012 was used by DB Schenker. The view is south from the road over bridge on Batham Gate Road with the former Midland main line to Matlock and St Pancras.
Linlithgow: The New Measurement Train heads west from Linlithgow on 9 April with a Heaton - Glasgow Queen Street and return trip.
Castle Square [SYPTE]: Wet and miserable-looking 'Stagecoach Supertram' no 122, running through Sheffield city centre on 9 April 2012.
Fylde Junction: Preston power box is approaching 40 years old having been commissioned in 1973. Although it is taking on additional responsibilities from 2012, with the closure of several local signal boxes, in the long term it is planned to replace it through a new regional signalling centre in Manchester. 66111 passes the box and junction with the Blackpool lines as it heads north on the WCML with the Tesco Express on a wet Easter Monday morning.
Achnasheen: A Kyle of Lochalsh - Inverness service arriving at Achnasheen on 9 April 2012.
Cathedral [SYPTE]: Sheffield Supertram no 111 calls at 'Cathedral' on a wet Monday in April 2012.
Bo'ness: WD 75254 (latterly NCB No 7 of Comrie Colliery), Bagnall 2777 of 1945, leaves Bo'ness with the 12.15 to Manuel on 9 April. See image []
Fylde Junction: A quartet of DBS 66s head south through Preston on Easter Monday 2012, presumably after weekend engineering duties. 66187 led the way followed by 66140 and 66105 with 66204 bringing up the rear. The four locos are seen passing Fylde Junction with Preston power box behind.
Kinghorn: Transformation at Kinghorn - see adjacent news item.
Kinghorn: This roundel of a J36 - appropriately the last working class of steam locomotive in Scottish mainline service, and based in Fife - by local sculptor Kenny Munro now decorates the station car-park which has been landscaped by the Kinghorn Station Studios and Gallery. See image []
Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal: At last! Ever since they extended DIRFT across the A5, I've been trying to photograph a main line engine in daylight see image []. This is 37194, apparently on the naughty step on 9th April. The sting in the tail is that it is currently not a main line engine, as it is employed as the North terminal shunter.
Sudbury Hill Harrow: 165010 to Marylebone, speeding past Sudbury Hill Harrow station on 9th April 2014. The platforms were widened over the lines of the lifted slow loop tracks; this train is therefore using what was originally the fast up track through the centre of the station. This opened in 1906 with the line between Neasden and Northolt Junction (now South Ruislip) and is within walking distance, but not directly connected, with Sudbury Hill station on the LUL Piccadilly Line. In 1969, there was a plan to close Marylebone and the Neasden to South Ruislip line and divert trains into Paddington on the route that had been served by expresses to and from Birkenhead Woodside until 1967. This wasn't implemented and Marylebone remains open. One of the reasons was LT's reluctance to extend Metropolitan Line electrification from Amersham to Aylesbury which would also have seen the end of BR trains between Marylebone and Aylesbury via Harrow-on-the-Hill station too.
Sudbury Hill Harrow: Sign at Sudbury Hill Harrow station (which previously had brackets around Harrow) on the Chiltern Line to and from Marylebone, seen on 9th April 2014. The information is slightly misleading as there is no direct interchange with the LUL Piccadilly Line. Anyone changing here is confronted with a walk of several hundred yards along the street, in all weathers, from one station to the other.
Sudbury Hill Harrow: The former entrance to Sudbury Hill Harrow station (previously with brackets around the Harrow part of its name) on the Chiltern Line to and from Marylebone, is now a shop, seen here on 9th April 2014. The station is still open and passengers enter by the pathway on the left. All the original platform buildings, dating from the station's opening in 1906, have been demolished and the platforms widened over the sites of the lifted through fast tracks. On this day the station appeared to be completely unstaffed but I have not visited since so cannot say if this is still the case.
Carnforth: After several months of running in plain grey livery, First branding is starting to appear on the TPE Class 350s. 350405, passing Carnforth on a Manchester Airport to Glasgow Central service, is one of the first to receive the new vinyls.
Settle: An ideal garden ornament for the discerning railway enthusiast! This 5 plank wagon in the grounds of the converted water tower at Settle station now greets visitors as they enter the station car park. See image []
Carnforth: 67005 Queen's Messenger heads the Royal Train northwards through Carnforth on 9 April 2014 conveying HRH The Prince of Wales to Oxenholme on a visit to Cumbria.
Partick Central: Recent clearance of the cutting allows a view of the mouth of the tunnel that carried the line from Partick Central towards Stobcross. View south east on 9 April 2015.
Moy: Virgin Trains East Coast HST not long into its journey from Inverness to London Kings Cross approaching Moy on 9 April 2015. 43310 is in the lead with 43257 bringing up the rear.
Slochd Viaduct: Freightliner 66602 emerges from the haze around Slochd Viaduct on 9 April with the cement train for Inverness.
Moy: The Northbound Inverness portion of the Caledonian Sleeper hauled by 67030 almost at the end of its journey as it crosses the moor at Moy on 9 April 2015.
Findhorn Viaduct [Tomatin]: 66302 with the Inverness bound container train crossing Findhorn Viaduct on 9 April 2015.
Kilnknowe Junction: D9009 passes the former Kilnknowe Junction with a Derby - Tweedbank charter on 9 April. 67015 brings up the rear.
Carlisle: Freightliner engineers move with 66531 and 66528 - Madge Elliot in top n tail mode. The train is 6Y52 Carlisle NY to Warrington Bank Quay.
Statfold Barn: CSR Laukota No 11 (CSR = Colonial Sugar Refining Co. Ltd., Fiji).
Statfold Barn: ALFA an 0-6-0T from the Ryam Sugar Mills and newly restored, built by Hudswell-Clarke 1922.
Wigton: WCRC 57316+57313 passing Wigton on 9 April 2016 with 1Z32 Newport to Carlisle charter. [Ref query 23559]
Statfold Barn: ISIBUTU a Bagnall 4-4-0 tender engine, built 1945. Note, new track bed being prepared.
Borthwick Bank Signal Box: D9009 Alycidon storms the 1 in 70 Borthwick Bank with a Derby-Tweedbank charter on 9th April â€“ the first Deltic to be seen here since D9007 Pinza on the return leg of a Leeds-Edinburgh charter on Sunday 5th January 1969.
Kilnknowe Junction: D9009 passes the former Kilnknowe Junction with a Derby - Tweedbank charter on 9 April. 67015 brings up the rear.
Partickhill Goods [NBR]: 'Signalling failure at Hyndland', words to strike fear in the Glasgow commuter or, at the moment, those bound further afield. 334.001 is stacked in the queue at Partickhill.
Woodacre Crossing: Two-tone green Brush Type 4 47830 Beeching's Legacy with a barrier coach and seven refurbished HST cars seen at Woodacre on 9th April 2016. The train, complete with Rail Operators Group headboard, was a working from Kilmarnock Works to Laira Depot.
Smethwick Galton Bridge: 172219 pauses on the High Level Southbound platform at Galton Bridge. Wooden sleepers were used on this section to reduce the dead weight supported by the viaduct when this section was re-opened as part of the Jewellery Line. Not a Lot of People know that, as Morris Micklewhite might say.
Carlisle: DB Cargo 66114 brings 4M30 Grangemouth to Daventry intermodal move into Carlisle
Statfold Barn: As the sign attests, this is not the first time that Glasgow Queen Street has had a bit of a makeover. The sign can be found at the Statford Barn Railway. The Victorians really were the masters of marketing - 'Attractive. Glasgow.'.
Carlisle: Freightliner 70004 working 4z44 Daventry to Coatbridge FLHH intermodal.
Wigton: Ex LMS 46100 Royal Scot powers through Wigton working 1z87, the return Cumbrian Coast Express, with a lengthy blast on the whistle from Driver Gordon Hodgson.
New Mills South Junction: A TransPennine Express service from Cleethorpes to Manchester Airport passes New Mills South Jct in the early afternoon of 09 April 2016. The track in the foreground is from New Mills Central while the Class 185 is on the line that leads to Hazel Grove and Stockport.
Carlisle: Change at Carlisle as crews swap on DB Cargo 66114 working 4M30 Grangemouth to Daventry intermodal.
Wigton: DBSO 9707 leads 37423 into Wigton on 2C34 a Carlisle to Barrow loco hauled service
Statfold Barn: CSR No 19 a Hudswell-Clarke 0-4-0ST at Statfold Barn Farm. (CSR = Colonial Sugar Refining Co. Ltd., Fiji.)
Borthwick Bank Signal Box: Two plus twelve on the 9th April Derby-Tweedbank charter on Borthwick Bank. In 2012, after years of lobbying by the Campaign for Borders Rail and the Waverley Route Trust, the Scottish Government announced in November that the platform roads and platforms at Tweedbank would be extended beyond 6-car ScotRail capability to handle charters such as this.
Hayfield Tunnel: Standing under Hyde Bank Road bridge in New Mills in April 2016, looking west along the formation of the former Hayfield branch, towards the tunnel that lead to New Mills Central station. Much of the former branch line has been converted into the Sett Valley Trail although at the New Mills end it does not include the tunnel and some 'civils' have been carried out in front of it to provide access to the town.
Carlisle: Northern Pacer unit 142095 unusually stands in platform 3 about to work 2C43, a Carlisle to Barrow service. The normal bay platform 2 was occupied by a class 156 dmu.
Statfold Barn: The 'Flying Goose' - a coach body on rail. This is a modern replica of a type used on the Rio Grande Southern Railroad and in Ireland see image []. The front portion is from a Morris commercial with a BMC engine.
Carlisle: Freightliner 70004 departs from Carlisle station on 9 April 2016 following a crew change. The train is the 4Z44 Daventry to Coatbridge FLHH intermodal.
Carlisle: DB Cargo 66184 arrives at Carlisle with 4S49 Daventry to Grangemouth intermodal.
Rugeley Trent Valley: The former goods shed at Rugeley is now a plastic mouldings factory. The WCML is a few feet to the left in this view from April 2016.
Crossgatehall Halt: A Halt was constructed at Crossgatehall, East Lothian, by the NB in 1913 to serve the nearby village of Cousland. Located in the Lothian coalfield between Smeaton Junction and Ormiston. The station lasted a mere 17 years, closing in September 1930. The bridge that carried the road over the formation still survives and stands at the centre of a crossroads, now controlled by traffic lights. View is north across the station site in April 2017, with the remains (if any) located below. One of those occasions where the word 'overgrown' seems somehow inadequate.
Selkirk Junction: Here, along a part of the old Selkirk- Galashiels line near Selkirk Junction there are extant wooden sleepers still visibly in situ.
Fergushill Colliery No 29 Pit: Looking north east along the course of one of the spurs off the Doura branch at the site of Fergushill Colliery, Pit number 29. The line ran up the left hand side of the picture along the line of the fence and joined the main branch at Sourlie Pit. The clump of trees and fence on the right hand side mark the site of the shaft which has settled a little below the level of the surrounding ground.
Fergushill Colliery No 29 Pit: Looking south west along the course of one of the many spurs off the Doura branch at the site of Fergushill Colliery, pit number 29. The remains of the dry stane dyke or dry stone wall bounded the right hand side of the track. The view looks over the area once occupied by the pit. The small clump of trees in the left distance mark the site of the shaft. According to the OS map the line opened out into four roads here with two continuing a few hundred yards to serve pit number 30 where the line terminated.
Trenholme Bar: On the road from East Rounton to Hutton Rudby, which is part of cycle route 165, the C road enters a sharp rising left curve in which there appears an extant narrow humped bridge over the trackbed of the former line running from Picton to Battersby. This bridge is shown on old maps as Peter Hill Bridge, with the section of road beyond being Peter Hill. The bridge is marked up as DfT NYC/5. (Just under a mile east of the former Trenholme Bar station.)
Trenholme Bar: On the road from East Rounton to Hutton Rudby, which is part of cycle route 165, the C road enters a sharp rising left curve in which there appears an extant narrow bridge over the trackbed of the former line running from Picton to Battersby. This bridge is shown on old maps as Peter Hill Bridge, with the section of road beyond being Peter Hill. The bridge is marked up as DfT NYC/5. (Just under a mile east of the former Trenholme Bar station.) The view is taken looking east from a storage area running across a short length of infilled trackbed. The trackbed is still extant for some 50 metres beyond the bridge, albeit fully tree covered, and again heading west towards Potto, from just behind the viewpoint, where it is mainly grass covered and in a shallow cutting.
Sexhow: Passing thro' Hutton Rudby, heading east on the road from East Rounton and the A19, which is part of cycle route 165, there is a narrow lane running off to the right which has an old Yorkshire North Riding C.C. three way finger post at the junction. The finger for the lane - Sexhow Lane - still indicates that there is Sexhow Station, on the former line running from Picton to Battersby, a distance of 1&3/4 miles away.
York: LNER 125 power car 43725, and unidentified Azuma Class 800, at York on 9th April 2019.
Breakwater Junction: This view of 9th April 2020 looks towards Granton High Goods; Breakwater Junction was somewhere behind me, though the exact location has been landscaped away. Photographed incidental to my daily exercise permitted under emergency Coronavirus legislation.
Granton Gasworks: Granton Gasworks was pretty big, and here at the north west corner of the site its internal railway network was a long way from the junction at Pilton West. At this end there were works making products from coal residues. You can make out where a line crossed the road here; there may even still be rails but I couldn't get any closer to check. Photographed incidental to my daily exercise permitted under emergency Coronavirus legislation.
Glasgow Queen Street High Level: The new glass frontage of Glasgow Queen Street Station was lit-up blue to show solidarity with key workers and frontline NHS staff all across the country. Scotland's third busiest station Joined other venues and attractions like Glasgow's SSE Hydro and Falkirkâ€™s Kelpies in lighting up in NHS colours to salute the dedication and efforts of healthcare workers in the battle against the coronavirus. It is hoped that the light shining from the new station onto Glasgow's premier civic square served as a beacon of hope, and as a symbol of support and solidarity. Alex Hynes, Managing Director at Scotland's Railway said: 'We are delighted to illuminate the new glass faÃ§ade of Glasgow Queen Street Station as a symbol of public support for the vital and fantastic work of NHS staff who are tackling the coronavirus. 'We are hugely grateful to everyone in the NHS and all key workers across the country, including those in our railway family, who are playing a massive role in supporting all of us across the country at this time.'
Granton High Goods: The CRâ€™s goods building at Granton seems to still be in good shape and is in use by a long-established local firm. A line continued past the right of the shed and on to Granton Pier behind me; the course can be made out on the tarmac. Photographed incidental to my daily exercise permitted under emergency Coronavirus legislation.
Granton Road: The walkway on the CR's Leith North branch faithfully follows the trackbed except here at Granton Road where it makes a very slight detour to use the former citybound platform. The trackbed is boggy here - cause or effect? Viewed from Granton Road itself, looking towards Leith. Photographed incidental to my daily exercise permitted under emergency Coronavirus legislation.
Bay Horse: A beautiful morning for the first Lancashire main line steam of 2021. 45407 and two support coaches make their way from the ELR to Carnforth on 9th April, and are seen in the cutting at Forton, ahead of travelling to Fort William with 45212 on Monday 12th.
Leyland: Heading north for the summer, or at least the first day of the trip to Fort William to be one of the locos on the 2021 Jacobite season. 45407 with two support coaches (one belonging to 60009 and 61994) is seen having joined the WCML at Euxton Jct, passing Heald House Lane bridge in Leyland on a move from Castleton to Carnforth. The move to Fort William is scheduled for Monday 12th April.
Events from the chronology which occured on this day. This generally lists events before 1995, the creation of the website.
|1838||London and Birmingham Railway||Line opened.|
|1839||Great Western Railway||Electric telegraph completed from Hanwell to West Drayton. Later extended to Slough.|
|1841||Dublin and Kingstown Railway||Company builds its first locomotive, ^Princess^, at the Grand Canal Street Works.|
|1936||Sir William Beardmore (Junior), Lord Invernairn||Death of Sir William Beardmore (Junior), Lord Invernairn.|
|1965||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway||Balloch_>Forth and Clyde Junction Balloch (excluded) to Croftengea Siding closed completely. (Alternative date 04/04/1965).|
These are old news items which which occured on this day. This generally lists events after 1995, the creation of the website.
|2002||Sidings planned for Glenmuckloch opencast coal mine||An opencast mine is proposed at Glenmuckloch, just north of Kirkconnel, which is intended to be rail served. The source is coal is particularly required after the closure of the Longannet/Castlebridge/Solsgirth complex which served Longannet Powerstation. There is a danger that the coal may travel by road rather than rail especially as there is a difficulty sourcing signalling at present. Perhaps the coal will be taken to Knockshinnoch for loading if purpose built sidings are not opened.|
|2004||Public money saves Cairn Gorm railway [Scotsman]||A LOCAL enterprise agency has been forced to step in to help the financially-troubled funicular railway on Cairn Gorm, prompting calls for a Scottish Parliamentary investigation.|
|2005||^Significant^ progress in train as First ScotRail cuts down delays [Scotsman]||FIRST ScotRail yesterday said a 10 per cent cut in delays last month on a year ago was proof it was getting back on track after six months in charge of the country^s railways.|
|2005||Grand National hit by rail strike [BBC News]||Racegoers heading to Aintree are urged to use free shuttle buses on the second day of a rail strike.|
|2006||Waverley Balmoral platform under construction||The new Balmoral side platform is under construction at Edinburgh Waverley.|
|2011||Upgrade plan for ^danger^ path [Southern Reporter]||IT recently won notoriety by being identified as the least safe place in the Borders, writes Andrew Keddie. But now convicted offenders will soon be working to change the image of the Black Path, which stretches two miles from Galashiels to Tweedbank, alongside the route of the old railway line.|
|2012||Back in the Market: The regeneration of Haymarket Station||Edinburgh’s Haymarket station has long been eclipsed by its larger neighbours, but a £25m revamp will see it become a major asset once more writes Alastair Dalton|
|2012||Motherwell stars in a jam after team coach gets trapped under railway bridge [Daily Record]||MOTHERWELL players and staff had to get off their team bus yesterday when it got stuck under a bridge. The Fir Park side had earlier drawn with Hibs at Easter Road and were returning home when the driver of their coach crashed his bus. Players were taken off the coach as the hapless driver surveyed the damage and alternative arrangements were made to ferry them home. The smash happened as the bus was making its way through Edinburgh’s Old Town. It struck a low railway bridge in New Street, which carries the main east coast railway line from nearby Waverley Station.|
|2012||^Light Hearted Lines^ launched in aid of Keith & Dufftown Railway Association [Railscot]||A book of railway memories, anecdotes and stories from the 1960s and 70s, mainly featuring the Highlands and North East of Scotland, has been put together by David Fasken, a volunteer with the Keith & Dufftown Railway Association. All proceeds from the book, which is entitled ^Light Hearted Lines^, will be directed to the Association. [See adjacent panel for details.]|
|2013||Tube challenge [BBC News Magazine]||Geoff Marshall is a man on an Underground mission. He desperately wants to break the world record for the Tube Challenge - visiting all 270 London Underground stations in the fastest time possible. This is his 24th attempt, but only once before has he got his name in the record books|
|2013||Manchester Victoria station transformation gets underway [Network Rail]||Passengers arriving at Manchester Victoria will see the start of the station’s £44m transformation as work begins to build a spectacular new station roof. The new roof is part of a scheme to bring the station up to 21st century standards and turn it into a major regional interchange and will include a better, brighter and more open concourse, a new ticket office, information booth, waiting room and toilets.|
|2013||Network Rail Directors Get £600k Bonus [Sky News]||Four top Network Rail bosses have been awarded bonuses totalling more than £600,000 despite concerns over the company^s performance. The long-term incentive plan payments, including £168,000 to finance director Patrick Butcher, come at a time when rail regulators have been critical of the company^s performance on the railways. Under the plan, network operations managing director Robin Gisby and infrastructure projects managing director Simon Kirby both get £158,400, while group strategy director Paul Plummer picks up £148,400. The payments, reflecting the company^s performance in 2009-2012, could have been higher but Network Rail (NR) said 20% had been cut ^to take account of specific safety and train performance issues^. NR also said the payments would be phased, with 60% paid now and the balance to be reviewed at the end of the 2013/14 financial year. The awards have already been delayed by a year.|
|2014||Railway writer and former train worker says farewell to historic steam engines in Shildon [Northern Echo]||A RAILWAY writer who helped to look after two historic steam engines 50-years ago during their heyday has bid them goodbye before they leave the UK. Peter Townend, 88, headed to Locomotion: The National Railway Museum at Shildon to see the A4-class Dominion of Canada and Dwight D Eisenhower. A former shedmaster at London King’s Cross, he once had 19 A4’s engines to look after including the two on show in Shildon. Mr Townend, who has penned several books including LNER Pacifics Remembered, viewed the engines which are set to leave the UK for ever later this month.|
|2015||First Great Western apologises for delays after driver boards wrong train [Evening Standard]||Commuters heading to London faced delays when a driver boarded the wrong train and was forced to turn back. Rail operator First Great Western has apologised for the blunder which saw a train heading for London Paddington confused with one set for Swansea in Wales. A spokesman for the rail company said a driver and crew had mistakenly boarded the Wales-bound service out of Banbury in Oxfordshire.|
|2016||Swanage railway: First passenger trains in 44 years [BBC News]||Passenger trains have run over four miles of restored track in Dorset for the first time in 44 years. The services are part of Swanage Railway Spring Steam Gala, which runs until Sunday, and mark the latest step in a bid to reconnect the seaside resort with the mainline. Four journeys a day will run over the newly installed Norden Gates level crossing and on to the River Frome. Diesel train trials are due to start running to Wareham early next year.|
|2017||The end is nigh for Chilterns Bubble cars [Rail]||Chiltern Railways will withdraw its two Class 121 Bubble cars on May 19. The single-car first-generation diesel multiple units were introduced in 1960, and are currently used by CR between Princes Risborough and Aylesbury. The first (121020) was bought from Network Rail in 2003, with a second (121034) joining it in 2011 from preservation. They are the last trains in daily use with vacuum brakes, but CR says that because of the increase in ongoing maintenance needs they are to be withdrawn and sold. They will be replaced by Class 165s. We will be sad to see these trains go, as they are a part of railway history and some customers even make special journeys to travel on them, said Chiltern Railways Engineering Director Matthew Prosser. [From Various contributors]|
|2017||Borders Railway extension prospects studied [BBC News]||A new study is to look at the possibility of extending the Borders Railway beyond Tweedbank to Carlisle. Transport Scotland has announced it intends to award the contract to look at wider transport issues across the south of the country to Jacobs UK Ltd. It is hoped the study can get under way later this month and will take about seven months to complete. The findings will feed into the Scottish government^s nationwide strategic transport projects review. Transport Minister Humza Yousaf said a commitment had previously been given to examine the case for extending the railway along with improvements on the A1, A7 and A68.|
|2018||India engineless train rolls back for miles [BBC News]||Seven employees have been suspended after 22 carriages carrying 1,000 passengers detached from a train and sped backwards for 11km (seven miles) in the eastern Indian state of Orissa. The runaway carriages were halted by railway staff after they placed rocks on the tracks. None of the people on the train were injured in the incident, which occurred on Saturday night, officials said. More than 22 million Indians commute daily on about 9,000 trains. A video of the incident, caught on a mobile phone camera, showed onlookers screaming as the carriages rolled backwards and past a railway platform.|
|2018||New platforms is a step-up for Livingston South station redevelopment [Network Rail]||The Edinburgh Glasgow Central via Shotts line has re-opened to passengers following a 10 day closure to enable part of a £3.5m redevelopment of Livingston South station.|
|2018||ScotRail^s 385s face further delay as new windscreens to be fitted [RAIL]||Hitachi has confirmed to RAIL that new windscreens are to be fitted to ScotRail^s new Class 385s, which are already late entering traffic because of infrastructure problems.|
|2018||Those were the days 1930: The Glasgow railway station that time forgot [Herald]||A LONG chapter in Glasgows transport history came to a quiet end, not long before midnight on Sunday, November 6, 1966. The departure of the 11.25pm train to Inverness out of the old Caledonian Railways Buchanan Street station marked the close of the stations 117 years of service. Henceforth the train would leave from Queen Street station - the stronghold, as the Glasgow Heralds Samuel Hunter column pointed out, of North British and L.N.E.R. interests in nearly a century of railway rivalry. Well, we may feel our old loyalties, the Buchanan Street station-master, John Orr, said, but we are all British Railways people now. Mr Orr was being given a temporary posting to Queen Street. Most of his staff at Buchanan Street - and there were 120 of them in all, what with clerks, inspectors, signalmen, ticket-collectors, guards, porters and carriage cleaners - were also now bound for Queen Street, with the rest earmarked for other stations across the city.|
|2019||New platforms on-track for Glasgow Queen Street [Network Rail]||The transformation of Glasgow Queen Street station will enter a new phase this month as engineers begin work to complete the extension of the station’s platforms.|
|2019||ScotRail bosses blame pledge not to let trains skip stations for extra delays [The Herald]||ScotRail bosses blamed their commitment to crack down on trains skipping stations for a failure to hit key punctuality targets, it has emerged.|
|2019||Train station Seiryu-Miharashi in Japan exists purely so passengers can admire the view [Daily Mail]||Located on the Nishikigawa Seiryu line in the south of the country, the station is called Seiryu-Miharashi, which translates to ^clear stream viewing platform station^.|
|2020||Foodbanks across Scotland benefit from ScotRail stock donation [ScotRail]||People in need across Scotland have benefited from generous donations from kind-hearted ScotRail staff. ScotRail^s hospitality teams across the country have donated food and drink stock to charities operating foodbanks in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Inverness. The train operator has temporarily withdrawn all on-board hospitality services from its trains, resulting in a surplus in short dated food and drink such as soft drinks, snack boxes and confectionery.|
|2020||CalMac donates excess stocks to food banks amid lower demand on its ferries during pandemic [Ross-shire Journal]||Food banks up and and down the west coast are set to benefit from the generosity of ferry operator CalMac.|
|2020||Glasgow Queen Street Station lights up for our NHS heroes [Network Rail]||Tonight (Thursday April 9) the new glass frontage of Glasgow Queen Street Station will be lit-up blue to show solidarity with key workers and frontline NHS staff all across the country.|
[Photograph on Evening Times site.]
|2020||Supermarket stock takes scenic route during Covid-19 lock-down [Network Rail]||Freight trains will move 34,000 tonnes of supermarket produce across the English-Scottish border this Easter weekend despite their usual rail route being shut for planned upgrades.|