The Caledonian Canal follows the Great Glen connecting Loch Linnhe, near Fort William on the west coast, to the Beauly Firth near Inverness on the east coast, via Loch Lochy, Loch Oich and Loch Ness.
|/ /1804||Caledonian Canal|
|/11/1882||Glasgow and North Western Railway|
Glasgow and North Western Railway proposed, the Bill presented to Parliament to seek approval.. The route was to have been a 167 mile long railway from Glasgow to Inverness via Fort William. Supported by the North British Railway and opposed by the Highland Railway, Caledonian Railway (part owners of the Callander and Oban Railway), Caledonian Canal, David MacBrayne and some landowners. The Bill was rejected in 1883. It was not built (a less ambitious variation of it, the West Highland Railway with an Act in 1889, did open).
|22/07/1903||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway
Line opened by Eliza Stewart Ellice of Invergarry House. The service was operated by the Highland Railway who were keen to keep the North British Railway away from Inverness. Connecting David Hutcheson and Co steamers operating along the Caledonian Canal connecting the line to Inverness via Loch Ness and the canal. Stations opened at Gairlochy, Invergarry, Aberchalder, Fort Augustus and Fort Augustus Pier. The Lovat Arms and Station Hotel was rebuilt and reopened in connection with new line.
These locations are along the line.
This single track railway swing bridge is immediately north of Banavie station. It carries the Fort William to Mallaig line at the foot of Neptune's Staircase, a series of interconnected locks on the Caledonian Canal.
This was a single track hand operated swing bridge immediately north of Fort Augustus station and its through platform on the west side of the station. The bridge pivoted at the south end.
This was the south end of a short branch from Canal Junction [Inverness]. To the north the single line split into a siding serving the quayside and a line continuing to serve the Glen-Albyn Distillery and southern portion of the quayside. Both quaysides were on the east side of the canal, just north of the Muirtown swing bridge (a road bridge). The distillery was to the east.
This 126 ft girder railway swing bridge crosses the Caledonian Canal near Inverness where the canal passes between Muirtown Basin (to the south) and Clachnaharry Sea Lock. The railway crossing over has the former Clachnaharry station to the west and former Canal Junction [Inverness] to the east.