This railway is open to freight and formerly carried a passenger service. Grangemouth was initially associated with the Forth and Clyde Canal, which built the railway. The Caledonian Railway took over and greatly expanded the docks particularly with the addition of the Carron and Grange docks for seagoing vessels. The port handled timber import and coal export. It now now mostly associated with the Grangemouth Refinery (Grangemouth New Oil Terminal) and container port in the Grange Dock. The railway is now centred on Fouldubs Junction from which freight only lines run to various depots. A signal box remains open at the junction making this an unusual location in Scotland where a box survives in an area of freight traffic.
The line is now electrified.
See also Grangemouth Harbour Railways (Caledonian Railway).
|01/03/1909||Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal)|
Caledonian Railway hands over the trimming over coal at the Grangemouth Docks to a contractor.
|/08/1999||Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal)|
Malcolm Group purchases former depot at Fouldubs Junction.
|/09/2001||Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal)|
Malcolm Group depot on the site of Grangemouth MPD reaches completion.
|/05/2011||Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal)|
Siding at Fouldubs Junction looped at its northern end to connect with the dock line.
These locations are along the line.
This was a halt serving the Grangemouth Shed at Fouldubs Junction and the nearby sidings. The halt was on the east side of Laurieston Road with steps down to the platforms from the road. The halt had minimal facilities.
This single ended shed was located in the ^V^ of the junction at Fouldubs Junction. The shed was approached from the junction to the east.
This junction is located on the western edge of Grangemouth. Today it is the junction between various freight lines and the double track railway to Grangemouth Junction. It is controlled by a large signal box on the north side of the line. This box is unusual in Scotland now, for being the only box located on a goods network. From here sidings serve the TDG depot, WH Malcolm depot, ...More details
This yard still exists, but today it consists of two looped sidings to the north east of Fouldubs Junction whereas historically it was a marshalling yard. It was also known as Grangemouth West Yard and Fouldubs Marshalling Yard. The yard not only dealt with traffic for Grangemouth and the immediate area but also was a principal marshalling yard for longer distance traffic with long distance ...More details
This signal box was between Grangemouth station and Fouldubs Junction. The box controlled the point south of the station where the passenger lines (west side) and goods and mineral lines (east side) met. The goods lines approached from Grangemouth No 2 Signal Box which was on the east side of the station. To the south was a large yard (Fouldubs Junction Yard) which ran south west ...More details
This was a single platform terminus with a trainshed. The trainshed was cut back at an unknown date before closure. The station was to the west of Grangemouth No 2 Signal Box where the lines to the older and newer Grangemouth docks divided.
This signal box was alongside Grangemouth station and controlled access to and from the dock lines, with three dock railway converging here.
Carron Dock (originally New Dock) was opened in 1883 by the Caledonian Railway to the south of Grangemouth Old Dock, with which there was a connection, and continued east to join the River Carron. This was a ship dock with a large entry lock, rather than a dock for canal sized vessels. The Caledonian were the new owners of the Grangemouth Railway and its former owner the [[Forth and ...More details