This line built by this former railway company forms a part of the Belfast to Dublin main line, the northern portion between Belfast Great Victoria Street and Portadown. The later built portion of the Ulster Railway from Portadown to Clones is closed.
|/ /1839||Ulster Railway|
Opened from Belfast [Glengall Place] to Lisburn. Contractor William Dargan. The gauge was 6ft 2in.
Extended from Lisburn to Lurgan.
Extended from Lurgan to Seagoe (temporary terminus).
Extended from Seagoe to Portadown [1st] (east side of the River Bann).
|/ /1845||Ulster Railway|
New Act re-authorised Portadown [1st] to Armagh.
|/ /1847||Portadown and Dungannon Railway|
Authorised. Supported by the Ulster Railway.
|/ /1847||Ulster Railway|
Original track converted to 5ft 3in.
Doubled with the addition of a single track of 5ft 3in gauge, initially used for goods.
|/ /1848||Ulster Railway|
Portadown [2nd] replaces the Portadown [1st] terminus (further to the north east over the River Bann). Line extended through Portadown [2nd] to Armagh. (The Portadown [1st] building survives for some years, passed on its north side by the extension.)
|/ /1849||Ulster Railway|
Portadown Junction to Armagh doubled.
|06/01/1852||Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway|
Isolated portion opened south from Portadown Junction (Ulster Railway) to a temporary terminus, Newry Armagh Road (later Mullaghglass or Mullaglass).
|/ /1854||Ulster Railway|
Belfast [Glengall Place] renamed Belfast Victoria Street.
|/ /1855||Cavan Branch (Dundalk and Enniskillen Railway)|
Branch from Clones to Cavan authorised. The line was subscribed to by the Ulster Railway, Dublin and Drogheda Railway and Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway.
|/ /1855||Ulster Railway|
Extension from Armagh to Monaghan authorised.
|/ /1856||Ulster Railway|
Extension from Monaghan to Clones authorised.
|/ /1856||Ulster Railway|
Belfast Victoria Street renamed Belfast Great Victoria Street.
|/ /1858||Ulster Railway|
Armagh to Monaghan opened.
|05/04/1858||Portadown and Dungannon Railway|
Opened from Portadown Junction (Ulster Railway) to Dungannon [1st].
|/ /1863||Ulster Railway|
Monaghan to Clones opened. The original Monaghan station, left on a short branch by the extension, is replaced. Double track used throughout.
|/ /1863||Ulster Railway|
Portadown [3rd] opens by the site of the original Portadown [1st] (probably demolished at this time). Portadown [2nd] closed.
|/ /1863||Banbridge, Lisburn and Belfast Railway|
Opened from Knockmore Junction (Ulster Railway) to Banbridge (Banbridge Junction Railway).
|/ /1864||Belfast Central Railway|
Incorporated. Plans included a railway linking the Ulster Railway, Belfast and Northern Counties Railway and Belfast and County Down Railway lines and a central station on Victoria Street.
|/ /1871||Dublin and Antrim Junction Railway|
Opened from Knockmore Junction (Ulster Railway) to Antrim.
|/ /1874||Dungannon and Cookstown Railway|
Incorporated. Supported by Ulster Railway and Portadown, Dungannon and Omagh Railway.
|/ /1874||Belfast Central Railway|
Opened to goods and minerals from Central Junction [Belfast] (also known as Ulster Junction with the Ulster Railway) to East Bridge Junction (branch to Queen's Bridge on the west bank of the River Laggan) and Ballymacarrett Junction (Belfast and County Down Railway) and Abercorn Basin.
|/ /1876||Portadown, Dungannon and Omagh Railway|
Absorbed by Ulster Railway.
|/ /1876||Ulster Railway|
Absorbed by Great Northern Railway [Ireland].
|/ /1901||Ulster Railway|
Portadown [3rd] rebuilt as a four platform station.
|/ /1909||Ulster Railway|
Adelaide Marshalling Yard opened.
|/ /1911||Ulster Railway|
Adelaide Shed opened, replacing the older shed at Belfast Great Victoria Street, alongside Adelaide Marshalling Yard. The older shed^s site allowed expansion of Grosvenor Road Goods.
|/ /1932||Ulster Railway|
Monaghan to Clones singled.
|/ /1934||Ulster Railway|
Richhill to Armagh singled.
|/ /1942||Ulster Railway|
Brownstown Metal Box Factory opened at Brownstown Crossing (south of Portadown Junction).
Passenger trains from Portadown to Monaghan withdrawn. Closed from south of Brownstown Crossing to Glaslough. Northern portion kept as a siding and for access to the Brownstown Metal Box Factory.
Monaghan to Clones closed to passengers.
|/ /1958||Ulster Railway|
Glaslough to Monaghan closed.
Monaghan to Clones closed.
|/ /1965||Ulster Railway|
Grosvenor Road Goods closes.
Closed from Portadown Junction to Brownstown Crossing and Brownstown Metal Box Factory.
|/ /1970||Ulster Railway|
Portadown - Craigavon West opened on the site of Portadown [2nd], Portadown [3rd] closed.
Belfast Great Victoria Street closed, replaced by Belfast Central.
|/ /1980||Ulster Railway|
[Date uncertain] Portadown - Craigavon West renamed Portadown.
Belfast Great Victoria Street re-opened. A new north to east curve connected the station to the Belfast Central Railway.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This station was a terminus for the line from Belfast. Nothing remains of the terminus. It was located on the east bank of the River Bann and was approached from the north east. It closed with extension of the line to Armagh in 1848, the extension passing to the north of the terminus and a new...More
Not all locations are listed!