This is a two platform station with a car park on the south side. the car park was formerly the goods yard and featured a large double height loading bank with two faces.
To the east of the station was Cleland Junction where the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway) met the existing Omoa branch of the older Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
To the north of the station was the Lanarkshire Bridge Works, with sidings served from the west and to the west is Holytown Junction.
Also to the north was a long straggling single track branch to Legbrannock running out from Holytown Junction.
| Lanarkshire Bridge Works|
Carfin Chemical Works
Carfin Boiler Works
Jenny Lind Composition Works
Carfin Brick Works
Carfin Colliery Signal Box
Carfin Colliery Pit No 3
Townhead Colliery Pit No 46
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1829||Wishaw and Coltness Railway|
Act receives Royal assent. Line gauge was 4ft6in and was extended slowly south from Whifflet and Carnbroe Iron Works to the Coltness Iron Works Railway and the Chapel Colliery. A branch was authorised to Newarthill to meet the Omoa Iron Works Railway. Further authorised branches to Rosehall and Law were not built.
|31/05/1834||Wishaw and Coltness Railway|
Cleland Branch, Holytown [1st] to Newarthill, opened for minerals.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)