This was a station with two staggered platforms. The northbound platform was north of the level crossing on the west side, with the goods yard to the east (served from the north), and the southbound platform to the south of the crossing on the east side. A footbridge, south of the road, crossed the line. This had two sets of stairs at its east end (one from the roadway and another from the platform) and a single flight down to the roadway, and northbound platform, at its west end. The signal box was on the east side of the line north of the level crossing.
The station was probably build to serve Letham Grange Hotel, a large house now a hotel, which is not far off. Colliston is to the west.
The southbound line was lifted in 1936 before closure, the box was reduced to a gate box as a result. The station closed to passengers in 1955. It closed to the south in 1959, becoming the terminus of a goods line from Guthrie Junction (the box probably closed in 1956 when the junction at St Vigeans Junction was taken out).
Colliston was used to store surplus carriages around this time.
Complete closure was in 1965.
North of the level crossing is a house, the former station house, and a garden. To the south the trackbed is a footpath or cyclepath and the southbound platform remains.
Letham Grange was not far east of the station. It became the Letham Grange Hotel. Back in 1995 the hotel asked for a page, there being no other mentioning of the name ^Letham Grange^ on the internet.
The hotel is not presently open (2018), but the golf course remains. Letham Grange Golf Club
Arbroath (Catherine Street)
Arbroath (Lady Loan)
Arbroath West Links
| Waulkmill Signal Box|
Letham Mill Siding
Border Signal Box
Arbroath ^The Dens^ Siding
St Vigeans Junction
Dens Iron Works
Letham Grange Hotel
St Vigeans Stones and Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|24/11/1838||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
Opened partly with horse haulage. Stations opened at: Arbroath (Catherine Street), Colliston, Leysmill.
|05/12/1955||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
Arbroath (St Vigeans Junction) to Forfar (Guthrie Junction) closed to passengers. Colliston, Leysmill, Friockheim, Guthrie, Clocksbriggs closed.
|25/01/1965||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
Colliston to Guthrie Junction (excluded) closed to goods.