This was the Dundee terminus of the line from Newtyle [1st]. The station was just south of the Law Incline and Law Tunnel.
When opened the station was located on the north side of Ward Street which was later renamed Ward Road, its present name. The renaming may have been around 1898 when the Post Office opened.
The line was extended south to the Dundee Docks, particularly the west side of the Dundee Earl Grey Dock. This extension was modified to run to Dundee West on its opening, interchange being facilitated by turnplates on the west side of that station.
Before the station was opened The Wards were undeveloped on the north margin of the city. Soon afterwards Meadow Street was extended into the area and development surrounded the station.
Nothing remains of the station or has remained of it for many years. It was located at 21 Ward Road, now a British Telecom building.
Just to the north the line passed the Dundee Royal Infirmary (it relocated to this site in 1855) on its east side. This is now redeveloped as a block of flats, Regent House. The eastern boundary of the former hospital has preserved the line of the railway, which closed in 1861, shortly after the hospital opened.
Dundee Trades Lane
Offset at Back of Law
Ninewells Junction [Station]
Baldovan and Downfield
| Dundee Ward Road Shed|
Dock Street Tunnel
Dundee West Goods
Dundee Signalling Centre
Dundee Earl Grey Dock
Tay Bridge Goods
Dundee Tay Bridge Shed
Dundee Craig Harbour
Tay Bridge Minerals
Dundee West Mineral Yard
V and A Museum Dundee
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1830||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Dundee Harbour tramway extension from Dundee Ward Road authorised.
|/02/1837||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Line extended from Dundee Ward Road station to Dundee Earl Grey Dock in Dundee Harbour.
|/ /1857||Dundee and Newtyle Railway|
Dundee magistrates order the Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen Junction Railway to remove the Dundee and Newtyle Railway's harbour branch which ran as a street tramway between Dundee Ward Road and the Dundee Earl Grey Dock. Negotiations led to the DP&AJR having to promote a deviation (the Lochee Deviation, owned by the DP&AJR) avoiding the Law Incline and removal of the street tramway, replacing it with a locomotive worked line.
|/07/1859||Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen Junction Railway|
Act for the Lochee Deviation, Ninewells Junction (on the Dundee and Perth Railway) to Fairmuir (on the Dundee and Newtyle Railway), passed. Dundee Ward Road and the Law Incline were to close and trains terminate at Dundee Union Street (later Dundee West). Also for the deviation from Rosemill to Auchterhouse [2nd] replacing the Balbeuchly Incline.
|08/06/1861||Dundee and Newtyle Railway
Dundee and Newtyle Deviations (Dundee and Perth Railway)|
Dundee Ward Road, Law Tunnel and Law Incline closed with the opening of the deviation to Ninewells Junction.