Fullwood Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Fullwood Junction (1879-)

Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
Opened on the Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway).

Description

This is a three way junction south east of the Mossend Marshalling Yard on the Glasgow Central - Shotts - Edinburgh Waverley route.

From the east a line runs north west to Mossend North Junction (for the yard and the north), west to Mossend West Junction (for Glasgow Central) and south west to Milnwood Junction (for Motherwell and the south). Each line is double track. The lines west and south west were new additions in 1879 to the former Wishaw and Coltness Railway Omoa/Cleland branch which ran from the north to the east.

There was a tall four storey signal box here, in brick, built on the north side of the junction between the connection west and the connection south west (which was a little to the former^s east).

The layout was slightly altered when the line west^s bridge over the Wishaw and Coltness Railway^s north to south line was replaced. The replacement bridge and alignment was further north. With this both the connection to the west line and south west lines were moved a little west.

A trailing connection for the Fulwood Foundry works to the north was made from the eastbound line, just east of the junction.

The signal box closed in 1973 when taken over by the Motherwell Signalling Centre.

Tags

Junction
01/05/2020



Dates

  /  /1873Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)
Mossend branch authorised. Fullwood Junction (the east junction at Mossend) to Milnwood Junction (south) authorised. Mossend Junction to Mossend North Junction [1st] authorised.
  /  /1878Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)
Fullwood Junction (the east junction as Mossend) to Milnwood Junction (south) approved line altered and re-authorised.
  /  /1878Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)
Milnwood Junction to Fullwood Junction curve authorised.
01/10/1878Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)
Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction opened for goods. This new line would allow trains from the Shotts route to approach Glasgow Central (under construction) rather than Buchanan Street.
30/12/1878Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)
Mossend branch opened for goods from Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction and a curve from Mossend Junction to Mossend North Junction [1st].
01/05/1879Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)
Mossend branch opened for passengers from Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction. Associated with the impending opening of Glasgow Central and the diversion of trains from Edinburgh Princes Street via Shotts from Buchanan Street.
01/06/1879Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)
Milnwood Junction to Fullwood Junction opened.
  /  /1907Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)
Authorisation to buy land to improve Fullwood Junction. The double junction would be rebuilt, line west modified and southern curve eased.

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw

Old Wishaw

Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)