This is a two platform station, the station for which the Cleland to Kirknewton line is known as the Shotts line. The station has a car park on its south side (westbound platform) and ramp access via a long bridge on its north side (eastbound platform). An original stone built station building survives on the westbound platform.
There was formerly a small stone built building on the eastbound platform and a goods yard to the south of the station, approached from the west (and also serving Calderhead foundry and Calderhead Colliery). The goods yard site is now housing.
The station was west of the Shotts Iron Works and to the east a line of the North British Railway passed overhead. Further east again was Shotts Iron Works Signal Box and a small yard for access to the iron works' own Shotts Ironworks Railways.
The signal box opened with the station and line. The box was located at the west end on the south side of the station throat. It was replaced in 1890 and closed in 1981.
Fauldhouse and Crofthead
| Hall Colliery|
Shotts Iron Works
Hawkwoodburn Signal Box
Calderhead Colliery Pit No 1
Coal and Ironstone Pit
Hillhouserigg Coal and Ironstone Pit
Shotts Iron Works Reversing Spur
Hillhouseridge Oil Works
Coal and Ironstone Pit
Shotts Iron Works Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1861||Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway)|
An extension of the Cleland branch to Morningside [CR] is promoted. The branch will serve numerous mines and the Coltness Iron Works, avoiding the Morningside Incline of the existing route to Morningside [1st]. It also provides possible access to Edinburgh over the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway owned Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway. The Morningside [CR] extension of the Cleland branch predates its extension east through Shotts to Midcalder.
|/ /1869||Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Calderhead branch not built. (The area to north of Shotts already well served by lines now owned by the North British Railway.)
|06/01/1869||Wilsontown Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Branch extended west from Wilsontown to Climpy Colliery. Extension to Shotts abandoned.
|01/10/1878||Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)|
Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction opened for goods. This new line would allow trains from the Shotts route to approach Glasgow Central (under construction) rather than Buchanan Street.
|01/05/1879||Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)|
Mossend branch opened for passengers from Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction. Associated with the impending opening of Glasgow Central and the diversion of trains from Edinburgh Princes Street via Shotts from Buchanan Street.
Vanished Railways of West Lothian