Gartsherrie Iron Works Signal Box
The original box here was on the east side of the line just north of where the Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) passed underneath. Just to the north a branch ran north from the east side of the line into the west side of the Gartsherrie Iron Works to a small exchange yard on the Gartsherrie Ironworks and Railways. To the south a branch ran south from the east side to the Summerlee Iron Works.
The signal box was replaced in 1903 during quadrupling of the main line from Coatbridge Central (to the south) to Gartsherrie South Junction (to the north). The connections into the iron works were maintained.
Summerlee Iron Works closed in 1930 although Central NCB workshops on the site remained open.
The signal box closed in 1959 and connections taken out.
Around this time the new reception sidings for materials were laid out on the west side of the railway between here and Gartsherrie South Junction (from which they were accessed). Within the site these had arrival sidings laid on a falling gradient, weigh bridge and unloading on the west side and, connecting to these at the south end, departure sidings on the east side. This is now the site of the Coatbridge Freightliner Terminal.
Coatbridge Central [NB]
Gartsherrie [M and K]
Other railway and industry locations
Gartsherrie Shed [GGR]
Gartsherrie Iron Works
Summerlee West Signal Box
Summerlee Iron Works
Gunnie South Signal Box
Gartsherrie Ore Sidings
Sunnyside Engine Works
Summerlee East Signal Box
Gunnie Yard [1st]
Coatbridge Freightliner Terminal
Gunnie North Signal Box
Summerlee Heritage Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|