Hamiltonhill Goods

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

Hamiltonhill Goods

Opened on the Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway).


Description

This was a planned goods yard to be near Firhill Basin and Hamiltonhill Basin of the Caledonian Railway owned Forth and Clyde Canal in north Glasgow. It was to be the terminus of the Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway).

The yard was to be on Saracen Street, shown on Post Office maps as a herringbone pattern of lines at 90 degrees to the road with an approach from the west through a tunnel, the line turning tightly from running south west from Possil to south to south east to east.

Instead, the double track line petered out north of the site. Later, Panmure Street was to be laid out to the south of this.

The branch did find use when Ruchill Hospital opened next to an existing wash house and disinfection station alongside the end of the line. Construction of the hospital began in 1895 and it opened in 1900.


Tags

Goods unbuilt

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map