Opened on the Crieff Junction Railway.
This was a single platform station. The platform was on the east side of the line with a station house. To the north was a level crossing and to the south a goods loop, on the east side, with sidings which were approached from the south. The signal box (1892) was on the east side of the line south of the crossing, at the north end of the platform.
The box became a gate box only in 1948 and then was replaced by a ground frame in 1951. The station and line closed in 1964, very briefly retained as a branch from Crieff Signalbox to [[Muthill] that year.
The station building is now a house and the platform remains. It is now a bed and breakfast Highlandman Station .
The name 'Highlandman' is due to the large number of Highland drovers who would stay here with their cattle for the Crieff Tryst. This cattle stance was well watered and just to the east of Crieff and its market.
Other railway and industry locations
Earn Viaduct [Strageath]
Crieff Timber Yard
Crieff Shed [2nd]
Crieff Shed [1st]
Crieff West Signalbox
Muthill Old Church and Tower
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Branch Lines of Strathearn: Tourists, Tatties and Trains
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)