This is a two platform station. The present station formerly featured four tracks between the platforms, allowing non stop trains to pass those stopped in the station. There was a bay platform at the south end, east side of the line (from which trains to Grangemouth departed). The original station building still stands on the down (northbound) platform at the north end of the platform.
To the north were goods loops on either side of the line. The up (southbound) loop has been converted into a permanent way siding.
The widening of the lines through the station to four tracks was authorised in 1889. As part of this the existing north and south signal boxes were replaced. The new north box opened in 1892 and was a little south of the original. This was on the east side of the line just north of the platforms and with entry from Muirhall Road which was immediately behind the box. The south box was also opened in 1892 and was on the east side at the south end of the platforms, on the east side of the bay platform line.
In 1940 the north box took over Stenhousemuir Signal Box to the north, which closed. This box was located at the north end of the loops.
The south box closed in 1973 but the north box, renamed 'Larbert', was to survive until 2017 when it was taken over by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre.
Falkirk Camelon [1st]
Bonnybridge Canal Goods
| Larbert Iron Works|
Stenhousemuir Signal Box
Carmuirs East Junction
Denny West Junction
Carmuirs West Junction
Carron Iron Works
Stenhouse Road Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/03/1848||Scottish Central Railway|
Opened from Greenhill to Stirling. Stations at Scottish Central Junction, Larbert, Bannockburn and Stirling.
|/ /1860||Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company)|
Line opened to minerals. Worked by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. (At the time the Carmuirs Curve did not exist and approach from the west was from Larbert.)
|03/07/1876||Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) opened. The Caledonian Railway had running powers to Larbert from here.
|28/07/1930||Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)|
Denny to Larbert (Bonnywater Junction) closed to passengers.
|29/01/1968||Alloa RailwaySouth Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway)|
Alloa (Alloa West Junction) to Larbert (Alloa Junction) closed to passengers. Railbuses cease crossing the Alloa Bridge.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)