This signal box was opened in 1957 to control access to the new Ravenscraig No 2 Yard, which handled coal and iron ore deliveries. Approach was from the north. The entry was from just south of Calder Viaduct [Carfin]. The box was on the east side of the line opposite the yard turnout.
The box was replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre in 1973, in the run up to electrification.
Ravenscraig No 4 Yard, also approached from the north, was to open on the east side of the main line. The new yard handled iron ore, allowing No 2 to focus entirely on coal. Iron ore was carried over the main line by conveyor.
The Ravenscraig Steel Works closed in 1992.
The main line remains open. Some rails of the No 2 yard remain embedded in the ground, these were level crossings.
| Ravenscraig Sinter Plant|
Calder Viaduct [Carfin]
Middle Johnstone Colliery Pit No 10
Ravenscraig Blast Furnace No 3
Ravenscraig Coke Ovens 1,2,3
Ravenscraig Slag processing
Carfin Colliery Pits Nos 6 and 7
Nether Johnstone Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Ravenscraig No 4 Yard
Ravenscraig Blast Furnaces No 1,2
Ravenscraig No 2 Yard
Ravenscraig Steel Works
Ravenscraig BOS Plant
Ravenscraig Secondary Steelmaking Unit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Lanarkshire's Last Days of Steam
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway