This line provides a Motherwell bypass for freight (particularly from and to the Mossend Marshalling Yard and non-stop passenger services. The line is also used by recently introduced service to and from Lanark.
|/ /||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Ravenscraig No 4 Yard was opened on the east side of the main line opposite Ravenscraig No 2 Yard. The new yard handled iron ore, allowing No 2 to focus entirely on coal. Iron ore was carried over the main line by conveyor.
|/ /1873||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Line authorised from Carfin Junction to Garriongill Junction.
|01/06/1880||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Law Junction to Holytown opened. Stations opened at Wishaw Central and Overtown Waterloo.
|01/10/1881||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Overtown Waterloo re-named Overtown [2nd].
|01/01/1917||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Overtown [2nd] closed.
|01/01/1919||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Overtown [2nd] re-opened.
|05/10/1942||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Overtown [2nd] closed.
|/ /1957||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Ravenscraig No 2 Yard opened, which handled coal and iron ore deliveries. Approach was from the north. The entry was from just south of Calder Viaduct [Carfin].
|14/06/1965||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Wishaw Central re-named Wishaw.
|/ /1992||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)
Ravenscraig Steel Works|
The Ravenscraig Steel Works closed in 1992. Ravenscraig No 2 Yard and Ravenscraig No 4 Yard closed.
These locations are along the line.
This junction is east of Holytown station. The lines to Edinburgh via Midcalder Junction and Carlisle via Law Junction divide here, the latter being a Motherwell bypass, ideal for limited stop trains and freight from the Mossend Marshalling Yard.
This is a six span double track viaduct over the South Calder Water.
This signal box was opened in 1957 to control access to the new Ravenscraig No 2 Yard, which handled coal and iron ore deliveries. Approach was from the north. The entry was from just south of Calder Viaduct [Carfin]. The box was on the east side of the line opposite the yard turnout.
This junction is to the north east of Wishaw station. It is where a short connecting line from Shieldmuir North Junction meets the line coming south from Holytown Junction and allows a local passenger train going south from Motherwell to serve Wishaw station.
This is a two platform station. There is a car park to the north and a modern station building on the northbound platform.
This was a double track junction south of Wishaw station. It opened with the 1901 Wishaw, Cambusnethan and Coltness Line (Caledonian Railway).
This was a four platform station which opened with the Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway) of 1880 which met the Caledonian Railway of 1848 here. The station had a more or less east-west alignment. At this station trains from Glasgow were met by trains from the north coming via the deviation and could be joined to continue the journey south.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Lanarkshire's Last Days of Steam
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway