Rutherglen West Junction

Location type

Junction

Names and dates

Rutherglen Station Signal Box [2nd] (1892-1973)
Rutherglen West Junction (1973-)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Station code: National Rail
Opened on the The Switchback (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Clydesdale Junction Railway.

Description

This junction opened in 1892, the western end of a curve which ran north to Clyde Junction [CR]. It was named for the new Rutherglen [3rd] station which opened with two platforms on the new curve and four platforms on the main line east.

This west to north curve opened for a combination of goods traffic from the new The Switchback (Caledonian Railway) of 1886, a new passenger service from London Road [Glasgow] to Glasgow Central (high level) in 1892 and the planned opening of the Glasgow Central Railway in 1896.

To the north of the double track through the west to north platforms there was a goods line which passed round the north side of the platforms to reach Clydebridge Junction [Rutherglen]. From this there was White's Siding to the west and the approach to Clydeford Chemical Works and Shawfield Chemical Works. Approach was from the Clydebridge Junction [Rutherglen] direction.

The box (west end of the northern of the two mainline island platforms) and curve survived the closure of the Glasgow Central Railway in 1964 as the now freight only London Road [Glasgow] line continued to be served. It was reduced to a single track.

The box closed in 1973, replaced by the Glasgow Central Power Box.

In 1979 the Argyle Line opened, a partial re-opening of the Glasgow Central Railway, and the curve had a new purpose for diversions and stock movements. Platforms did not open on the west to north curve.

The remaining island platform on the slow lines of the main line of Rutherglen [3rd] closed in 1979.

Tags

Junction
02/07/2020


Dates

  /  /1882The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)
Glasgow Lines: London Road Junction [Glasgow] to Germiston Junction Low authorised. Rutherglen West Junction to Clyde Junction [CR] authorised.
  /  /1887The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)
Extension of time to build Rutherglen West Junction to Clyde Junction [CR].
02/05/1892The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)
Rutherglen West Junction to Clyde Junction [CR] opened.
01/10/1897The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)
Rutherglen [3rd] opened. Rutherglen West Junction to Clyde Junction [CR] opened to passengers.
13/06/1960The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)
Rutherglen West Junction to Clyde Junction [CR] closed to passengers. Rutherglen [3rd] north to west platforms closed.