Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
This was a two platform station. It was the first station in Wishaw.
A goods yard was on the south west side of the line, approached from the north west.
The Pickering Wagon Works was to the south, served by a siding which started from the goods yard line and ran south. This had also served Green Colliery.
The Wishaw Steel Works was to the north west, on the south west side of the line. This was linked to the Wishaw Iron Works with a private line, part of the Wishaw Estate Railway, which passed under the main line. The steel works was served by a siding approached from Wishaw Iron Works Signal Box.
The station became Wishaw South on the opening of the Wishaw Deviation when Wishaw Central opened to the north.
The Wishaw Steel Works became RNSD Wishaw.
The station closed to passengers in 1958. The signal box closed in 1972.
Wishaw Oil Depot opened in the station goods yard. It is now closed.
Nothing remains of the station. The line remains open, used by long distance high speed trains.
| Wishaw Coal Pit|
Wishaw Brick Works
Wishaw Oil Depot
R Y Pickering Wagon Works
Wishaw Coal Pit
Wishaw Iron Works
Wishaw Steel Works
Wishaw South Junction
Stenton Iron and Steel Works
Berryhill Coal Pit No 1
Pather Signal Box
Pather Iron and Steel Works
Netherton Coal Pit No 3
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/06/1880||Wishaw and Coltness Railway|
Wishaw [1st] re-named Wishaw South.
|15/09/1958||Wishaw and Coltness Railway|
Wishaw South closed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)