Crossmyloof: Clipping from the Glasgow Evening News of 26 September 1933 concerning the appointment of Tom Steele as station master at Crossmyloof. [See image 22155]
Alloway: At Alloway - hardly daylight.
Rancleugh Viaduct: C.R. 18 1/2 0.6.0 17633 on the Rancleugh Viaduct.
Dipple: Carrick Coast freight at Dipple. C.R. 18 1/2 0.6.0 17633
Glenside: Glenside. First door is private waiting room for Marquis of Ailsa.
Knowside: Water at Knowside.
Maidens: Maidens (passing loop still in place).
Rancleugh Viaduct: The Rancleugh Viaduct.
Dipple: Driver Nick Armstrong (cap in hand).
Fireman - McMillan.
Guard Chas Tyeson.
Turnberry: Turnberry (still a show station).
Walton-on-the-Hill: J10 0-6-0 no 65177 photographed on shed at Walton-on-the-Hill, Liverpool, in September 1958. Coded 27E latterly, Walton shed was closed by BR in 1963. A housing estate now occupies the site.
Birkenhead Mollington Street Shed: The large steam shed at Mollington Street, Birkenhead, complete with permanent haze, in September 1958. This large depot was a combination of two previously separate 8-road straight sheds originally belonging to the LNWR (left) and GWR, with a shared turntable and coaling stage. The shed closed to steam in 1967 but saw further use as a diesel depot until abandoned in 1985. The last of the buildings on the site was demolished in 1987.
Speke Junction: G2 0-8-0 no 49454 photographed at Speke Junction (8C) in September 1958 having probably worked into the area on a freight from its home depot of Crewe South. Speke Junction closed to steam in May 1968 and the old 12 road straight shed is long demolished. Sidings still remain on part of the site which is now bordered on the south side by the large New Mersey shopping complex.
Aintree: Aspinall ex-L&Y 0-6-0T no 51537 stands on Aintree shed in September 1958. One of several dock tanks based here, these locomotive would have spent most of their lives shunting Liverpool Docks. [Editor's note: What is often referred to as a spark-arresting device is, according to Paul Ford, a 'blast deflector' fitted to locomotives shunting the dock estate to protect the deck of the Liverpool Overhead Railway].
Bank Hall MPD: Aspinall L&YR class 21 0-4-0ST no 51206, fitted with blast - deflecting device [see image 24841], standing outside Bank Hall shed, Liverpool in 1958. The diminutive Pug, built at Horwich Works in 1891, spent most of its 71 years shunting in Liverpool Docks, before finally returning to Horwich for disposal in 1962. Bank Hall shed itself closed in 1966 and the site is now occupied by Kirkdale EMU depot.
Polmadie Shed: McIntosh 3F 0-6-0T no 56239 photographed in a corner of Polmadie shed in the autumn of 1959.
Polmadie Shed: Stanier 'Coronation' Pacific no 46243 City of Lancaster of Crewe North shed being prepared to work back south at Polmadie depot on 26 September 1959.
Polmadie Shed: A pair of neglected looking Caley Jumbos, nos 57418 and 57369, standing in Polmadie shed yard in September 1959.
Polmadie Shed: Lineup of diesel shunting locomotives on Polmadie shed in September 1959 with D3529 nearest the camera.
Polmadie Shed: Smart looking Fairburn 2-6-4T no 42143 photographed on Polmadie shed in September 1959.
Polmadie Shed: Royal Scot 4-6-0 no 46105 Cameron Highlander stands on Polmadie shed in September 1959. The locomotive was withdrawn from here at the end of 1962.
Dawsholm Shed: Evening scene in the shed yard at Dawsholm on 26 September 1959. Long time resident Stanier 2-6-2T no 40176 stands alomgside CR 123, one of several preserved locomotives based at Dawsholm at that time. The latter had been heavily involved during much of September hauling specials in connection with the Scottish Industries Exhibition [see image 30452].
Polmadie Shed: Royal Scot no 46105 Cameron Highlander in the shed yard at Polmadie in September 1959.
Lamington: Black 5 44887 runs light southbound through Lamington station in September 1964, some three months prior to closure.
Lamington: Black 5 44908 northbound across the Clyde at Lamington with coal empties on 26 September 1964.
Lamington: BR Standard class 9F 2-10-0 92130 with an up freight south of Lamington on 26 September 1964.
Wandel Mill: Kingmoor Jubilee 45629 Straits Settlements brings a Carlisle - Glasgow stopping train along the banks of the Clyde near Wandel Mill on 26 September 1964.
Crawford: Carstairs based Black 5 no 44956 climbing south towards Crawford Viaduct on 26 June 1964 with a train of mineral wagons.
Crawford: Standard class 5 4-6-0 73075 about to leave Crawford station on 26 September 1964 with the 'Parly' stopping train from Glasgow to Carlisle.
Lamington: Standard class 5 no 73060 approaching Lamington distant signal on 26 September 1964 with a Glasgow Central - Manchester Victoria relief service.
Wandel Mill: The up Royal Scot photographed shortly after passing Wandel Mill signal box just north of Abington on 26 September 1964 behind an EE Type 4 locomotive.
Symington: A brace of Clayton diesels southbound at Symington in September 1964.
Abington: Black 5 44993 deputising for a diesel on a Glasgow - Manchester train in September 1964, photographed running to time north of Abington.
Oakle Street: 37074 with a northbound freight passing the site of the former Oakle Street Station (closed 1964) on the Gloucester to Newport line on 26 September 1987.
Oakle Street: Aarghhh.... the bells... the bells...!!! Ex-GWR King class 4-6-0 no 6000 King George V southbound at the site of the former Oakle Street Station on the Gloucester to Newport line on 26 September 1987. This was, I believe, its last mainline trip before withdrawal. The locomotive still sports the bell presented by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in the USA in 1927 during participation in the Company's centenary celebrations. This led to the locomotive being affectionately referred to as The Bell and occasionally Quasimodo. No 6000 is now on permanent display at the NRM in York.
Glen Falloch Viaduct: A southbound Sprinter crosses Glen Falloch Viaduct in 1991, viewed from the south. Creag an Duin dominates the background.
Aviemore: The Strathspey Railway's 828 masquerading as 'Donald the Tank Engine' at Aviemore on 26th September 1993.
Aviemore: 'Donald the Tank Engine' - alias Strathspey Railway no 828 - photographed at Aviemore on 26th September 1993
Rannoch: A Fort William to Oban special pauses at Rannoch on 26 September 1999 while 48151 takes on water.
Spean Bridge: September in the rain at Spean Bridge in 2005, with the station building in use as a restaurant.
Spean Bridge: The out of use signal box on the up platform at Spean Bridge in September 2005.
Tulloch: The West Highland station at Tulloch looking towards Glasgow in September 2005. Note the old water tower base on the right. Originally opened as Inverlair in 1894, it was renamed Tulloch for Loch Laggan and Kingussie the following year, before the current shortened version was eventually adopted.
Spean Bridge: Former Fort Augustus branch platform on the north side of Spean Bridge station in September 2005 looking west.
Spean Bridge: Branch trains from Fort Augustus used this long abandoned platform on the north side of Spean Bridge station. View east towards the buffer stops in September 2005.
Spean Bridge: View west at Spean Bridge in 2005 showing the curve at the end of the platform once followed by the link to the former Fort Augustus branch.
Hexham: Eastbound DMU approaching Hexham signalbox.
Hexham: Wot no NER? But the NBR trains up the Border Counties Railway are remembered. The inn across the square from the station.
Scotswood Viaduct: Looking north at Scotswood and the viaduct from the south bank of the Tyne.
Edinburgh Waverley: Looking west along platform 19 at Waverley on 26 September 2012, with the 'Royal Scotsman' boarding behind West Coast Railways 57601.
Crook [2nd]: Crook, site of the second station (the through station) looking south. Now a road and Surgery. This was one of the NER stations with multiple tracks but one platform used by trains in both directions.
Edinburgh Waverley: The Royal Scotsman stands at platform 19 at Edinburgh Waverley on 26 September 2006, with 'West Coast Railways' 57601 in charge.
Nanny Mayors Incline: Nanny Mayor had a lineside alehouse at the foot of the incline now known as Nanny Mayors Incline. To the right of this ruined building is the route of the incline and above on the hillside the replacement alignment.
Nanny Mayors Incline: View down Nanny Mayors Incline from near the head. In great shape for a line closed in 1859. The replacement alignment to Burnhill is to the right on the hillside.
Hownes Gill Viaduct: Hownes Gill Viaduct from below. There was a short lived station here served from Crook.
Slateford: Westbound coal empties passing through Slateford station in September 2006 about to cross the bridge over Slateford Road. [See image 11139] [Ref query 9853]
Hownes Gill: At the point where the Stanhope and Tyne Railway crossed the Lanchester Railway this hot metal cauldron is a memento of the closed Consett Steelworks. The fortunes of the railways in the area were closely tied to the steelworks.
Swalwell: Looking east at the bridge which once carried the railway over the road at Swalwell. The coal depot here, still open in the 80s, has been replaced with the site at Wardley. This was to the left and is now built over.
Rowlands Gill: Signs of a coal-mining past in Rowlands Gill. A single platform of the two remains behind the buildings.
Hamsterley Viaduct: The viaduct at Hamsterley to the west of Lintz Green on the Lanchester Extension Railway, seen on 26 September 2006. The view looks south-west.
Lintz Green: Lintz Green looking to Blackhill.
Lintz Green: The stairs to the platforms still exist at Lintz Green, as does the station house, characteristic of the line.
Lintz Green: Platforms still exist at Lintz Green. Slightly cut short.
High Westwood: The platforms here were of timber so not much remains. The goods yard area can still be found. View looks to Consett.
Ebchester: The station yard at Ebchester. The station was to the left, just out of shot. The platforms have gone.
Ebchester: Looking to Blackhill at Ebchester. The platforms have gone but roadbridge remains. The station yard is now a carpark as the railway is now a walkway.
Shotley Bridge: Shotley Bridge looking to Blaydon.
Shotley Bridge: Shotley Bridge looking to Blackhill. The station building has gone but station house and cottages remain.
Shotley Bridge: A toilet block (closed) now occupies the goods yard at Shotley Bridge on the line of a loading dock. View looks north.
Blackhill: Blackhill looking north to Blaydon. The railway was to the left and station behind the camera.
Blackhill: Blackhill looking south. The station was beyond the road. Services here ran from here to Consett and on to Newcastle, from here to Bishop Auckland via Rowley and Crook, here to Newcastle via Blaydon and here to Durham via Lanchester. Now to nowhere ...
Consett: Consett looking to Beamish. The station was located at the distant footbridge. In the foreground lines split - those to the left running to the Consett Steelworks and those in the centre running on to Rowley, Waskerly and Stanhope.
Hownes Gill: To the north-east of Hownes Gill Viaduct the route of the Stanhope and Tyne Railroad crossed over the Lanchester Railway. The view is of the Lanchester route from the Stanhope route, looking south.
Edinburgh Waverley: Cross platform view from a train leaving Waverley westbound in September 2006. Nearest the camera is ScotRail 170424 with a train for Dundee, while over on platform 19 is West Coast Railways 57601 with 'The Royal Scotsman'.
Hexham: Eastbound Sprinter at Hexham is given the off.
Hexham: Hexham goods shed and water tank, looking west to the station entrance.
Hexham: A ramshackle collection of buildings in the yards to the east of Hexham station in September 2006 (note the semaphore peaking out over the top).
Hexham: Hexham box and incongruous modern equipment. Old disconnected lines to right.
Blaydon: Blaydon box now looks out at ... a dirt road. It controlled the junction between the Newcastle and Gateshead routes. Until closure of Scotswood Viaduct the Gateshead route via Dunston was freight; the Gateshead Redheugh terminus having closed long ago.
Scotswood Viaduct: Looking north to Scotswood. The line to Wylam ran west from a junction at the far end of the viaduct. Scotswood station had platforms on both lines.
Lintz Green: Looking north to Blaydon at Lintz Green. The platforms have been cut back, but this is where they continued to.
Consett: Nearby the former station site in Consett is The Travellers Rest. (Railway ran behind camera, view looks south-east).
Rowley: This building is on the opposite side of the main road from the site of Rowley station and may well be the old stationmasters house.
Hownes Gill: A curious bridge made of sleepers just to the north of Hownes Gill Viaduct.
Hownes Gill Viaduct: Dire warnings on Hownes Gill viaduct in September 2006. Other signs include those from the Samaritans.
Hownes Gill Viaduct: The south side of Hownes Gill Viaduct.
Hownes Gill Viaduct: View looking west from the viaduct.
Waskerley: Nearby the of the two engine sheds at Waskerley is this pile of old stone sleepers. View looks north.
Burnhill Junction: Looking north at Burnhill Junction. Route to Waskerley to the left and that to Rowley to the right. Burnhill station was to the right. A Government store existed on either side of the line here.
Waskerley: Waskerley looking east away from the former passenger station. Nanny Mayors incline ran away to the left.
Waskerley: Waskerley looking west. The station building was to the right - the site is now a carpark.
Nanny Mayors Incline: View looking up Nanny Mayors Incline from the foot.
Nanny Mayors Incline: View looking up Nanny Mayors Incline from near the foot.
Waskerley: Rear of the church showing an extension partly built of stone sleepers. Ahead is the Waskerley goods shed.
High Stoop: Site of the goods station at High Stoop. The line was to the right of the building.
Tow Law: Tow Law. The station was off to the hard right in this view which looks east from the main road in Tow Law.
Crook [2nd]: Crook looking north at the junction between the Consett (left) and Durham (right) routes. The line is now a road. There is a retaining wall to the left of the distant houses on the right.
Wear Valley Junction: Looking east at the site of Wear Valley Junction station. The curved track seen here is the line running westwards to Eastgate. The junction was to the right and the line to Crook ran beyond the track seen here on a straight alignment.
Witton-le-Wear: Witton-le-Wear looking east. The station was on the far side of the level crossing.
Wolsingham Steelworks: Hard by Wolsingham Steelworks is the Wolsingham Railway Centre, base of operations for the re-opening of the Weardale Railway, seen here in September 2006.
Wolsingham Steelworks: The depot at Wolsingham Steelworks looking east.
Wolsingham Steelworks: The point where the railway depot at Wolsingham Steelworks joins the line. View looks east from the level crossing.
Slateford: Eastbound train passing Slateford yard on 26 Sept 2006 where work is in progress on the provision of additional stabling roads (see news item) for use by First ScotRail. The closed signal box on the left was converted for use as a signalling training centre by First Engineering.
Slateford Yard: Grab shot from a passing train showing new stabling roads under construction on the north side of Slateford yard. 260906. In the background is Meggetland, home of Boroughmuir RFC.
Aviemore: The 1010 from Glasgow calls en route to Inverness.
Boat of Garten: View of the sidings and signal box. Taken from the 1445 service from Aviemore.
Aviemore: Gantry showing southbound departures from Aviemore, from the snack bar.
Aviemore: Aviemore North 2. 2006 The Strathspey Railway station is now out of use. Their track now fenced off from the main line and the mainline connection to platform 3 removed. Note speed restriction for through traffic. As if !
The burned ashes are from a brazier used by a fog/snowsignalman.
Slateford: Westbound coal empties coming off the link from the sub at Slateford Junction on 26 September 2006 about to run west through Slateford station. In the background work continues on preparation of the new stabling roads for First ScotRail on the north side of Slateford Yard.
Edinburgh Waverley: Obviously expecting me....Memories of a bygone age of rail travel. The Royal Scotsman boards at Waverley platform 19 on 26 September 2006.
Edinburgh Waverley: Platform 1 extension work, Waverley east end, 26 September 2006.
Grosmont: Preserved ex-Somerset & Dorset 2-8-0 53809 at Grosmont in September 2007.
Pickering: A Metro-Cammell DMU shortly after arriving at Pickering on 26 September 2007 with a service from Goathland.
Nelson: The low viaduct immediately east of Nelson station sees Northern Rail Pacer 142040 crossing on its way to the terminus at Colne against the backdrop of the town.
Adelaide Keswick: Mother's little helper! DL 50 waits at Adelaide Keswick on 26 September 2008 to be brought into the train for the climb out towards Broken Hill. Taken through a coach window of the Indian Pacific on 26 September 2008.
Perth: Me get a seat. The 1454 FSR service to Inverness loading at platform 7, Perth comprised of 158716 & 170395.
Nelson (Lomeshaye): Not a railway building but who could resist this former canal warehouse. It is now Lomeshaye (Lommashaw) Medical Centre in Nelson and what a fantastic conversion. The consulting rooms are under the awning overlooking the water and many original features have been incoroprated such as the crane seen at the side. Once upon a time it would have been flattened and replaced with a concrete box.
Hassendean: Hassendeanburn, a little south of Hassendean, looking south toward Hawick
Tulloch: 61994 The Great Marquess coasts down the grade to Tulloch with The West Highlander on Saturday 26/09/09.
Fountainhall: A Waverley line bridge over the Gala water between Torquhan and Fountainhall. Earlier in the day, a large concrete pour was taking place, this was the scene some 5 hours later.
Milngavie: 334029 waits at Milngavie in the evening. The driver takes a rest in the small building on the left. A third platform existed until the mid 1980s on the left.
Tulloch: With grey clouds gathering 61994 crosses the viaduct just south of Tulloch station with The West Highlander on Saturday 26/09/09
Whifflet Central Junction: Looking south at Whifflet over the site of the former works lines. Tennents had a works here, latterly run by Sheffield Forgemasters. Sadly this has closed and been demolished (anyone know the dates?) and the internal works sidings here lifted. Formerly this trackbed was the north part of the GBHCR line from Hamilton to Whifflet where it met the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. [See image 7975].
Lugton: Looking south at the re-doubling works by Lugton box. The track here was double but is being re-laid as part of the works. Just before taking the photograph a rail mounted crane retreated and the tamper went slowly over the line.
Kendal: Climbing to make its Oxenholme connection with the WCML, which follows the line of trees below the left skyline, 185103 leaves Kendal. The former station building on the right has been converted into apartments and passenger accommodation is now a small modern shelter behind the camera.
Lochailort: A picture I have always wanted to take.K1 62005 carrying the nameplates Lord of the Isles brings The West Highlander up the gradient past the disused Our Lady of the Braes Catholic Church near Lochailort.Made famous in the film Local Hero it may be converted to a private home.
Stewarton: Tamper paused on the viaduct south of Stewarton. The view looks east.
Airdrie: Not much has changed at Airdrie despite the works for the Airdrie-Bathgate re-opening further east. Well, the grass is a bit longer on the former eastbound platform.
Westcraigs: Getting ready for pile driving at Westcraigs. Lineside clearance has revealed the old loading banks to the right of the still intact westbound platform. View looks east.
Dalnaspidal: The former station house and railway cottages at Dalnaspidal, looking north towards Dalwhinnie on 26 September 2009. The remains of the station's up platform can be seen on the far left of the picture. Much changed since my last vist [see image 6094].
Dalnaspidal: The surviving shell of the signal box on the down platform at Dalnaspidal, still standing on 26 September 2009.
Forrestfield: Forrestfield, looking west to Hillend Reservoir. The building by the former station site has seemingly been abandonded and is all boarded up.
Cardonald Junction: An Ayr service heads west at Cardonald Junction. The junction has not yet been re-laid for the third track but the overhead line equipment is a strange mixture of replaced (across all tracks) and old. The line on the right serves Deanside Transit.
Plains: Looking east at Plains station. The old platform has gone. You may be pleased to learn that that is not an orange clad figure drowning in a watery bog in the mid distance.
Hawkhead: An eastbound service enters the station. We were interested to note that many passengers wait for the train to leave the station, go to Paisley Canal, and then return. I guess you know it's likely to come back.
Stoneyburn (by Addiewell): Looking towards Whitburn at Stoneyburn, just north of Addiewell. Behind the camera the line crossed over the CR Addiewell loop line and crossed a large viaduct to reach Addiewell NB. The line ran from where I'm standing to the pole on the right, there has been quite a bit of landscaping. This looks to me like the location of Query3716 of 65345 with the Scottish Rambler at an unknown location. The houses in the background left are the key. Any thoughts anyone? [See image 3716].
Whifflet South Junction: Looking north at Whifflet South Junction. The distant unit, on the right, is located roughly where the Wishaw and Coltness Railway connected with the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. Whifflet South was the starting point for the line to Gartsherrie built by the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway which avoided the M&K route to Gartsherrie. The unit is lying over out of the way of the mainline between trips to Glasgow [thanks MB].
Whifflet Central Junction: Looking north towards Whifflet (NB). Behind the camera the routes to Hamilton and Palacecraig divided. The Tennents works was located here on the right and the building seen on the right is the only part remaining. The line here remained in use as an internal line even after the connection to the railway network had fallen out of use. This photograph was taken to compare with another of mine take 22 years before. The building on the right is of shot to the right in the earlier photograph. [See image 7974].
Armadale: Looking west over the site of the former Armadale station. The trackbed here was landscaped quite a bit here after closure of the line so I can imagine quite a bit of earthmoving is required.
King George V Dock: Looking to the King George V Dock at the point where the rails fanned out. This photograph was taken to compare with an older shot of mine, 22 years before, but exactly the same viewpoint cannot be used as a new bridge over the former line has been built. [See image 7729]
Armadale: Looking to Bathgate at Armadale where a large concrete wall has been built and then buried? Interesting.
Forrestfield: View west at Hillend reservoir in September 2009. The distant cranes are associated with the works. [See image 33478]
Forrestfield: View looking east towards Forrestfield. Hillend Reservoir is behind the camera. Ponders, I wonder what happened to all the artwork which used to grace the walk/cycleway ...
Achnashellach: 47826 brings up the rear of an SRPS railtour returning from Kyle of Lochalsh to Paisley Gilmour Street on 26 September 2009. The train is seen here passing through Achnashellach station with 47786 on the leading end.
Achnashellach: 47786 approaching the platform at Achnashellach on 26 September 2009 at the head of an SRPS Railtour returning from Kyle of Lochalsh to Paisley Gilmour Street. To the right stands the former station master's house.
Elderslie: View looking west at Elderslie showing progress on the improved loops at Elderslie. The canal line formerly led off to the right.
Kinfauns: A First ScotRail class 170 runs alongside the River Tay at Kinfauns betweeen Dundee and Perth in September 2009. Pictured from The top of Elcho Castle.
Hassendean: Hassendeanburn, a little south of Hassendean, looking north. A footbridge still crosses the formation here.
Bathgate Shed: Bathgate looking over the site of the shed to the new EMU maintenance sidings.
Dunfermline Town: For some reason three (non-successive) Fife Inner Circle services on Saturdays are currently being diverted so that rather than return to Edinburgh they go back round the circle again as far as Kirkcaldy via the otherwise little-used north to east curve at Inverkeithing, making them a true circular service. On 26 September passengers at Dunfermline Town seek reassurance from the driver that they are to catch this one and change at Dalgety Bay for Edinburgh. After more than two years in Scotland 158 868 is still in its silver Alphaline livery but with ScotRail transfers applied. It is one of the few 158s with a 400hp engine rather than the standard 350hp unit.
Hawkhead Oil Siding: On the left a Sprinter passes through the site of the original Hawkhead station as it heads to Glasgow. To the right are the Hawkhead Oil sidings. These remained open after the Paisley Canal line closed to all other traffic west of Corkerhill shed and led to workings over the City of Glasgow Union line. The oil was Glasgow Airport aviation fuel as a pipeline runs from here to the airport. They now haven't been used for quite some time.
Lugton: A Hydrex road-rail crane makes some slight adjustments at Lugton before a Tamper moved in. Lugton is the north end of the new loop which runs north from Stewarton. There was until recently just a short loop here (and the disused line to Giffen).
Stepends: At Stepends the A89 has been temporarily diverted over the trackbed of the Airdrie-Bathgate route to allow a bridge over the road to be replaced.
Pickering: PW checks being carried out at the entrance to Pickering station on 26 September 2010 as ex-Somerset & Dorset 2-8-0 no 53809 gets a green with a morning train for Whitby.
Helmsley: The gated entrance to the former Helmsley station on 26 September 2010. Located on the Moors midway between the ECML and Pickering, Helmsley was opened by the North Eastern Railway in 1871 and closed by BR in 1953. [See image 19609] The old station is now an imposing private residence.
Quintinshill: Bridge 32 overlooks the site of the Quintinshill disaster. A memorial was unveiled at 3pm this afternoon by the late Denis Muir's daughter. A hymn, a prayer and a minute's silence were followed by a lament - the Flowers of the Forest. A moving ceremony.
Perth WA: View from King's Park over South Perth with a Transperth emu bound for Mandurah in September 2010. These trains do not serve Perth Central, instead burrowing down a new line via Perth Underground and Esplanade stations. This line is of recent construction and uses the median of the freeway at this point.
London: This is a scan of the right-hand end of a 5 foot long line diagram from A60 stock. The diagram was current around 1985. In those days the East London Line was deemed to be a 'section' of the Metropolitan and rendered in a hollow form of the Metropolitan's magenta. The Circle Line was also operationally part of the Metropolitan, but it would be unthinkable to show it the same way as the East London.
Grenoble: An Alstom Tramway Français Standard (TFS-2) unit in Avenue Alsace Lorraine, Grenoble, on 26 September. These trams have a central low floor section as can be seen from the window layout. No 2047 dates from 1995-97 and the type, still numerous in Grenoble, has been superseded by the Alstom Citadis vehicles. TFS trams are still to be found in other cities, including Nantes, Rouen, Saint Etienne, and in the Paris area.
Grosmont: LNWR G2 0-8-0 no 49395 at Grosmont shed on 26 September 2011.
Grosmont: The mid-day service from Whitby leaves Grosmont on 26 September 2011 and continues on its journey to Middlesbrough.
Grosmont: 30926 Repton languishes at the rear of the shed yard at Grosmont on 26 September, with nameplates removed, awaiting attention.
York: LMS Stanier 3-cylinder 2-6-4T no 2500 stands at platform 11 at York station on 26 September 2011. [See related news item.]
Medway Viaduct: Crossing the River Medway on HS1, a South Eastern Class 395 Javelin set heads for St Pancras on 26 September 2011. On the far side of the railway viaduct is the M2 motorway.
Hinxton LC: 170639 photographed south of Cambridge heading towards Hinxton level crossing on 26 September 2011 with an Arriva Cross Country Birmingham to Stanstead Airport service.
Foxton: FCC 317347 has an extended wait at Foxton station on the evening of 26 September 2011 on a Cambridge to Kings Cross service. The cause of the delay was reported as a major signalling failure in the Finsbury Park area which, being some 40 miles away, indicates just how bad the situation had become.
Barassie: Super Sprinter no 156513 runs through Barassie with 1K95, a non stop service from Glasgow Central to Stranraer via Kilwinning and Irvine
Barassie: DRS class 37 no 37423 runs into Barassie with 4Z26, a train of flats for repair from Motherwell TMD to Barclay works. It will run round in the sidings for the trip up to Kilmarnock.
Morecambe Euston Road: DRS 20303 and 37605 pass the site of Morecambe Euston Rd, the town's LNWR station, as they slow to a stop prior to reversing. 37605 will then head down the Heysham branch with two empty flasks for the nuclear power stations.
Blackpool South: The 1318 Northern DMU from Colne recently arrived at Blackpool South on 26 September 2014.
Bendigo: Four wheeler tram [a real tram] at Pall Mall, Bendigo, in September 2014,
St Annes-on-the-Sea : The 1123 Colne - Blackpool South arrives at St Annes on 26 September.
Slochd Viaduct: 66107 working the Lairg Oil Terminal to Mossend Down Yard empty tank train.Pictured crossing Slochd Viaduct.
Darwen: A Northern service to Bolton departs from Darwen on 26 September 2015. Recent changes around here have seen the extension of the passing loop on both sides of the station and the provision of additional signals. The northern end of the loop is now at the site of the former Hoddlesden Jct.
Leyland: Construction work at Leyland on 26 September 2015 as viewed from the footbridge. The car park on the left side has been taken over as the site yard, all the platform shelters, almost all the seats have been removed and barriers erected as work commences to construct a new footbridge.
Cowdenbeath: 66733 nears Cowdenbeath with the Royal Scotsman from Edinburgh to Keith on 26 September, passing on the left the site of the Fordell Colliery (Alice Pit), closed in 1966.
Events from the chronology which occured on this day. This generally lists events before 1995, the creation of the website.
|1850||North London Railway||Bow Junction (Blackwall Railway) to Islington opened|
|1938||East Usk Branch||Extended to Uskmouth.|
|1938||Brechin and Edzell District Railway||Edzell to Brechin (excluded) re-closed to passengers.|
|1966||Greenock and Ayrshire Railway||Greenock Princes Pier to Kilmacolm closed to freight|
|2001||West Highland Railway||Fort William Oil Depot re-opened.|
These are old news items which which occured on this day. This generally lists events after 1995, the creation of the website.
|2001||Fort William re-opened to oil traffic||Oil is being run from Grangemouth to the Fort William^s Oil sidings again after absence of this service for a number of years.|
|2004||10th Anniversary of Camelon opening||ScotRail mark the 10th anniversary of Camelon Station with the introduction of new Flexipass fares from there and other Falkirk area stations to both Glasgow and Edinburgh.|
|2006||Changes at Slateford||One inevitable bi-product of the major ongoing reorganisation at Waverley is the restriction placed on train operators during the course of the exercise. During 2007 for example overnight stabling by First ScotRail will not be possible at the station. Construction of alternative facilities is currently underway on the north side of Slateford yard. These are being delivered by GrantRail with funding from Transport Scotland.|
|2007||Rail link plans on track [Scotsman Article]||TRANSPORT chiefs have appointed design engineers and environmental consultants as part of plans to build a new railway link between the Borders and Edinburgh.|
|2007||Rail link plans on track [Scotsman]||TRANSPORT chiefs have appointed design engineers and environmental consultants as part of plans to build a new railway link between the Borders and Edinburgh.|
|2010||UK^s worst rail crash at Quintinshill remembered [BBC News]||A new memorial overlooking the scene of the UK^s worst rail disaster is being unveiled. The commemorative plaque has been installed at Quintinshill Bridge near Gretna Green in Dumfries and Galloway.|
|2011||Escaping steam? [Railscot]||A unique sight at York station on 26 September featured LMS 2-6-4T no 2500 at platform 11 attached to a 1937 3rd Class brake corridor carriage, repainted in ^Coronation Art Deco^ livery (to match no 6229 Duchess of Hamilton). No 2500 had been on display in the yard of the National Railway Museum, along with other LMS locos, as part of the museum^s ^LMS Weekend^ on 24/25 September. It appears to have been moved into the station to allow the release of visiting locomotives, before being shunted back into the museum by no 47798.|
|2012||Wensleydale Railway to the rescue [The Northern Echo]||A HERITAGE railway line last night came to the rescue of motorists stranded by the flooding. The Wensleydale Railway ran free emergency services between Leyburn and Bedale for car users who could not get home. There were emotional scenes at stations as passengers were greeted by grateful loved ones. Martin Baggaley, practice manager at the Glebe House Surgery, in Bedale, got the train back home to Leyburn after spending the previous night stuck in Bedale when he was forced to abandon his car.|
|2013||Eurostar eyes London-Amsterdam HSR [Railway Age]||Eurostar on Friday, Sept. 27, 2013 announced it had signed an agreement with Netherlands Railways (NS) ^to launch direct services between London and Amsterdam from December 2016.^ Eurostar said the move is ^part of a package of measures to enhance the services on the Dutch high speed line and will be ratified by the Dutch Parliament over the coming months. The Eurostar service will feature its new e320 trains, which will be interoperable and will be compatible with the Dutch high speed signaling systems.|
|2015||London Underground uses braking energy to power stations [IRJ]||LONDON Underground (LU) has launched a five-week trial of a new inverter system at Cloudesley Road substation on the Victoria Line, which enables energy returned to the grid by regenerative braking systems on trains to be reused at stations. LU says that in the first week of operation the system recovered enough electricity to power a large underground station such as Holborn for more than two days a week. Initial results indicate that up to 1MWh can be recaptured per day for reuse elsewhere. [From Richard Buckby]|
|2016||Virgin East Coast rail staff to strike on 3 October [BBC News]||Workers on Virgin Trains East Coast are to stage a 24-hour strike on Monday 3 October, the RMT union has announced. The union said the action was being taken over threatened job cuts, as well as disputes over working conditions and safety. It said talks aimed at resolving the issues had failed and staff had been instructed not to work any shifts between 00:01 and 23:59 BST on the day. Virgin Trains said it would be running a full timetable during the strike.|