Aberdeen Harbour Trustees Tramway

Introduction

This tramway of street railways and quayside lines served the Aberdeen Docks. Prior to the opening of the Denburn Valley Line (Great North of Scotland Railway) one of the tramway routes provided the connection between Aberdeen Guild Street, terminus of the Aberdeen Railway, and Aberdeen Waterloo, terminus of the Waterloo Branch (Great North of Scotland Railway).

Before 1915 most of the shunting was carried out uses horses. The Admiralty then asked the Great North of Scotland Railway to take over, the company bringing in locomotives for the work (initially the company used former distillery locomotives).

Expansion took the lines to Aberdeen Gas Works and Aberdeen Corporation Electricity Works.




Dates

  /  /1881Aberdeen Harbour Trustees Tramway
Permission granted to the Great North of Scotland Railway allowing locomotives onto the harbour lines.
  /  /1921Aberdeen Railway Aberdeen Harbour Trustees Tramway
Caledonian Railway authorised to build line from Aberdeen Guild Street goods to Aberdeen Corporation Electricity Works.
  /  /1921Aberdeen Harbour Trustees Tramway
Aberdeen Corporation authorised to use the Aberdeen Harbour railways, Aberdeen Harbour Trustees Tramway.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.



Aberdeen gas works No.3 seen at the south end of the Regent Bridge, a now removed swing bridge separating the Upper Dock and Victoria Dock. The ...
David Murray-Smith 16/04/1960
1 of 1 images.






This quay is at the west end of Waterloo Dock and its Upper Dock. It is on the north side of the docks. The Regent Bridge, between the docks, links Regent Quay to Jamieson's Quay (Upper Dock) and Blaike^s Quay (Victoria Dock). To the east is Aberdeen Waterloo Quay.
...

More details
Ex GNSR Class Z4 68191 at Regent Quay in the Aberdeen docks in a view looking west to the Aberdeen Harbour Board building. The turnout to the left is ...
David Murray-Smith //
Aberdeen gas works^ Mr Therm on a train at the docks circa 1960. ...
David Murray-Smith //1960
One of the diminutive Z4 0-4-2Ts purchased by the GNSR from Manning Wardle & Co in 1915 to work at Aberdeen Docks. No 68191 is seen here at the Regent ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 07/07/1950
3 of 3 images.


This gas works was started in 1840 and transferred to the town corporation around 1870. The Aberdeen Corporation Gas Department was transferred to the Scottish Gas Board in 1949.
...

More details

See also
Aberdeen Corporation Gas Department
^Mr Therm^ shunting within the Aberdeen Gas Works in 1961. ...
David Murray-Smith //1961
Locomotive ^City of Aberdeen^ seen at the Aberdeen Gas Works in 1961. ...
David Murray-Smith //1961
Barclay 0-4-0ST ^Mr Therm^ seen shunting coal wagons at Aberdeen Gas Works in 1961. ...
David Murray-Smith //1961
^Mr Therm^^ on a train in September 1960 at the junction between Church Street (ahead) and Miller Street (behind the camera). Aberdeen Waterloo is to ...
David Murray-Smith /09/1960
4 of 5 images. more


This quay is on the north side of the Victoria Dock and refers to the east end. Quayside tramlines from Aberdeen Waterloo served the quayside and there were goods sheds at either end of the quay. To the west is Aberdeen Regent Quay.
...

More details

See also
Aberdeen Corporation Gas Department


NSHEB battery loco at the Aberdeen electricity works in 1961. ...
David Murray-Smith 18/08/1961
1 of 1 images.