This line is open. It runs from Warrington to Birmingham. The line received its act on the 6th of May 1833 and opened in 1837.
Today it forms part of the West Coast Main Line routes.
In 1845 the company merged with the Liverpool and Manchester Railway. The line merged with the London and Birmingham Railway (opened 1838) and the Manchester and Birmingham Railway to form the London and North Western Railway on 1 January 1846.
|06/05/1833||Grand Junction Railway|
|/ /1837||Grand Junction Railway|
|/ /1840||Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Originally promoted as the Ayrshire and Galloway Railway it was to run from Ayr to Dalmellington and on to Castle Douglas to join the British and Irish Grand Junction Railway, which later was opened as the Portpatrick Railway.
|/ /1845||Grand Junction RailwayLiverpool and Manchester Railway|
Merge as the Grand Junction Railway.
|01/01/1846||London and North Western Railway|
London and Birmingham Railway, Grand Junction Railway and Manchester and Birmingham Railway merge to form the London and North Western Railway.
|/ /1970||Caledonian Railway
Lancaster and Carlisle Railway
Lancaster and Preston JunctionRailway
Preston and Wigan Railway
Wigan Branch Railway
Warrington and Newton Railway
Grand Junction Railway|
Weaver Junction (south of Warrington) to Glasgow electrification authorised.
These locations are along the line.
This was not one station but two; the parallel termini of the London and Birmingham Railway (from 9 April 1838) and the Grand Junction Railway (from 19 November 1838, replacing the temporary Birmingham [Vauxhall] of 4 July 1837). The stations, originally called simply Birmingham, were built on the then eastern edge of the city. The station was replaced by Birmingham New Street, a ...More details