Arbroath Shed [1st] (1848-1897)
Opened on the Arbroath and Forfar Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two road shed north of Arbroath and Arbroath Junction. It was on the east side of the line north of the Cairnie Street / Guthrie Port bridge. Access was via a reversing spur which made a trailing connection to the southbound line. There was a turntable on the eastern of the two shed roads.
There was an 'Arbroath Engine Sheds' signal box for the shed. It closed in 1888, not long after the opening of the St Vigeans Junction box further north in 1880/81.
This shed was replaced by Arbroath Shed around 1897. After closure sidings remained here, with carriages being seen stored here in some photographs. After closure the sidings were known as 'Engine Shed Sidings'.
The shed had probably replaced an original 1838ish shed alongside Arbroath (Catherine Street), closed with the construction of Arbroath station on the connecting curve of 1848 between the Dundee and Arbroath Railway and Arbroath and Forfar Railway.
Arbroath (Catherine Street)
Arbroath (Lady Loan)
Arbroath West Links
Other railway and industry locations
Arbroath Shed [1st]
Arbroath Signal Box
Westburn Iron Foundry
Dens Iron Works
Arbroath Harbour Junction
St Vigeans Junction
Arbroath ^The Dens^ Siding
Arbroath D and A Shed
Elliot Metal Box Factory
St Vigeans Stones and Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|