This important iron works was on the north bank of the River Clyde just east, and just across the river, from the Clydebridge Steel Works.
Supplying coal and iron ore to this works led to the construction of several railways.
Initially the works had its own waggonways. A railway, notably crossing the River Clyde by the Clyde Bridge, was part of a circle of lines which connected to Cambuslang Goods giving the works access both east and west to the Clydesdale Junction Railway. These lines were replaced by new connections to the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway) of 1865 in 1868 (Lanarkshire and Midlothian Branches railway number 8 - Clyde Iron Works).
There were several reasons for the building of the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway) and one of them of the carrying of raw materials from the Lanarkshire and Monklands areas to the works. Access was from the east, from Clyde Junction, and the works was on the north side of this railway. Before this line, it was served by waggonways belonging to the works, which now closed. Iron ore from Cumbria could also be carried to the works via Whifflet.
The Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway was built years later, but this had a long curve from Kirkhill to Carmyle to bring imported iron ore from Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier to the works.
The works was substantially rebuilt several times. Notably in the 1930s to 1940s after Colvilles took over. Three much larger modern blast furnaces were erected. A hot metal road crossed over the River Clyde to approach the Clydebridge Steel Works.
It closed in 1977/8 with the end of the open hearth furnace at the neighbouring Clydebridge Steel Works.
Mount Vernon North
London Road [Glasgow]
| Clyde Iron Fireclay Works|
Clyde Hot Metal Bridge
Clyde Iron No 2 Group Sidings
Clyde Iron No 1 Group Sidings
Clyde Iron Works Signal Box [1st]
Clyde Iron Works Signal Box [3rd]
Clyde Iron Reception Yard
Arnott, Young and Co [Fullarton]
Clydebridge Steel Works
Clydebridge Steel Works Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|20/11/1868||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Clyde Iron Works branch ('Lanarkshire and Midlothian Branches' railway number 8) opened from the new Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway) (1865), replacing earlier Clyde Iron Works Railways which ran directly from Cambuslang Goods on the Clydesdale Junction Railway.
|20/06/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Westburn Junction to Kirkhill Junction opened to goods. This was probably largely opened to carry imported iron ore for Govan Iron Works (Dixon's Blazes) and the Clyde Iron Works.