This shed replaced Seabraes Shed in 1885. It was built at the far west of the Dundee West Goods yard.
Under British Railways it became a sub shed of Dundee Tay Bridge Shed.
It closed in 1958 and reopened as a diesel shed in 1960.
After closure of Dundee Tay Bridge Shed in 1967 it became the main Dundee shed, a diesel shed, due to the cramped facilities at Tay Bridge.
Closure came in the 1980s and the site has since been cleared.
Dundee Ward Road
Dundee Trades Lane
Offset at Back of Law
Ninewells Junction [Station]
| Buckingham Junction|
Dundee Central Junction
Dundee West Mineral Yard
Dundee Tay Bridge Shed
Tay Bridge Minerals
Tay Bridge Goods
Dundee Signalling Centre
Dundee West Goods
Dundee Ward Road Shed
Dundee Craig Harbour
Dock Street Tunnel
V and A Museum Dundee
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Brick single road shed opened at Alyth, Alyth Shed. (Later a sub shed of Dundee West Shed.) A 40ft turntable was later added.
|/ /1885||Dundee and Perth Railway|
Dundee West Shed opened replacing Seabraes Shed and works. The new shed was west of Dundee West Mineral Yard, further west than the older shed. Approach was from a reversing spur to the east of the shed.
|/01/1942||Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)|
Blairgowrie Shed closed, but not demolished. A sub-shed of Dundee West Shed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways