This two platform was to the east of Motherwell in an area of rapid industrialisation.
The station was to the north of Windmillhill Street. The main station building was on the westbound platform with a waiting room on the eastbound platform. The signal box, opened with the station, was at the west end of the westbound platform.
There were sidings to the north and the Lanarkshire Steel Works, the square wooden cooling towers of which were later erected just to the north.
Flemington Goods yard was provided later to the south on a branch from Shields Colliery Junction.
The station later had two footbridges due to passenger numbers and canopies were later added to the buildings.
It closed to passengers in 1965 and the signal box was replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre in 1972.
The line remains open and is electrified. The site of the station is the east end of a goods loop on the north side of the line.
| Lanarkshire Steel Works|
Colville's Sidings Signal Box
Glasgow Rolling Stock and Plant Works
Flemington Saw Mill
Dalzell Works Signal Box
Shields Colliery Junction
Ravenscraig No 1 Signal Box
Etna Iron and Steel Works
Ravenscraig No 1 Yard
Lanarkshire Steel Works Signal Box
Shields Colliery Nos 5 and 9
Dalzell Malleable Iron Works
Ravenscraig Secondary Steelmaking Unit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)