Hillside [NB] (1883-1927)
Opened on the North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station. When the line north from Arbroath to Montrose and Kinnaber Junction was opened this was the location where the line doubled, south of the station, on the approach to Kinnaber Junction. The line was later doubled.
The main building was on the southbound platform. The signal box, on the northbound platform, opened before the station in 1881.
To the north of the station, on the east side, was the goods yard. This remains in place, unused in a modified form as a depot of the nearby Hillside Distillery maltings.
The station closed in 1927. The box closed in 1932 when the line south to Montrose was doubled.
Less than a mile to the north was Kinnaber Junction. With the closure of the Strathmore main line through Forfar [2nd] this is no longer a junction, closing in 1981 with the closure of the goods only line to Brechin. The route through Hillside is the main line north to Aberdeen for both the east and west coast routes.
To the south of Hillside the line passes over the former single track Montrose [CR] branch of the Aberdeen Railway running out from Dubton.
North Water Bridge Halt
Bridge of Dun
Other railway and industry locations
North Water Bridge Viaduct
Montrose North Junction
Montrose Shed [NBR]
Montrose [CR] Timber Yard
Montrose West Quay
Montrose Shed [CR]
South Esk Viaduct
Montrose Wet Dock
House of Dun
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|