Maxwelltown Goods Junction

Location type

Junction

Names and dates

Castle Douglas and Dumfries Junction (1859-1863)
Maxwelltown Goods Junction (1965-)

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway.
Opened on the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway.

Description

This junction is just to the north of Dumfries station and the Edinburgh Road Bridge.

At this junction the line from Castle Douglas met the Glasgow St Enoch to Carlisle main line. There was a bay platform for the branch at the station.

The Railway Clearing House map refers to the junction as Castle Douglas and Dumfries Junction.

It was also known as Albany Junction.

There was an octagonal signalling tower located at the junction.

Following the opening of the line from Lockerbie the branch line was realigned to run parallel with the main line south to just north of the station, the Lockerbie line crossed the mainline to reach it before both terminated in two single track bays on the west side of the station. A connection was made to the immediate north of the station allowing trains from the south to run onto both branches. The signalling tower was relocated to the new junction.

Some time following closure of the branches the junction was again relocated to north of the Edinburgh Road bridge, for access to Maxwelltown and Maxwelltown Factory Siding. It now provides access to a short siding.

Tags

Junction

Aliases

Albany Junction
08/05/2020




Nearby stations
Dumfries
Dumfries [2nd]
Dumfries [1st]
Maxwelltown
Locharbriggs
Holywood [2nd]
Holywood [1st]
Amisfield
Racks
Irongray
Lochanhead
Shieldhill
Newtonairds
Auldgirth
Killywhan
Dumfries Goods Junction
Lockerbie Junction
Dumfries St Mary^s Shed [CR]
Nith Viaduct
Dumfries Goods [CR]
Martinton Bridge
Dumfries Shed
Maxwelltown Creamery Siding
Pleasance Junction
Dumfries Goods
Ramsey Place Junction
Dumfries Gas Works
Tourist/other
Station Hotel Dumfries
Peter Pan Moat Brae
Lincluden Collegiate Church
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.


Signalling Tower


Above Dumfries station, on high ground to the east, stood the ^signalling tower^. This was a highly distinctive brick built octagonal building with a window on each side topped with castellations. It was fitted with two flagpoles - a tall one to indicate points were set for the main line and a shorter for the branch. These were replaced in 1860 with signals. It was originally at the Castle Douglas line junction, opened with the branch, before being moved higher up in anticipation of the opening of the Lockerbie route.

The tower was replaced with a signal box in 1883 and remained standing as a landmark afterwards. Demolished late 1970s/early 1980s.


Books


An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways

The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History

The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn