Motherwell South Signal Box (-1972)
Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
This signal box was to the south east of Motherwell Junction station (closed 1885) and located on the north side of the line.
The box controlled the eastern approach to (from north to south) a reversing spur for Dalzell Malleable Iron Works (1872) and Dalzell Steel Works (1880), Motherwell Junction station, and the goods station. To the east was the main line and fast and slow lines and, to the south, the Delburn Branch.
Between the Delburn Branch and the main line was a small yard, approached from the west. The line swept south of the main line, with a siding to the Delburn Works, before continuing underneath the main line to pass between the Dalzell (west) and Glasgow Rolling Stock and Plant Works (east) to reach the yards north of the Dalzell works which served the steel works and wagon works and connected to the Wishaw Estate Railway
The box closed in 1972 when replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre which was across the line on its south side.
Other railway and industry locations
Motherwell Signalling Centre
Dalzell Malleable Iron Works
Dalzell Steel Works
Motherwell Colliery No 3 Watsonville Colliery
Motherwell North Signal Box
Hamilton Road Signal Box
Dalzell Works Signal Box
Coursington Colliery Pit No 2
Colville^s Sidings Signal Box
Glasgow Rolling Stock and Plant Works
Lanarkshire Steel Works Signal Box
Coursington Road Junction
Park Street Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)