Saltcoats [CR] (1888-1924)
Saltcoats North (1924-1932)
Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station to the north of the present Saltcoats station. This station was built by the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway (which was controlled by the Caledonian Railway) in direct competition with the existing Glasgow and South Western Railway station. This station was to the north of Saltcoats and its harbour.
The main building was on the down platform.
The goods yard was on the south side of the line, approached from the west. The signal box, opened with the station, was located between the goods yard and line.
The station closed to passengers in 1932, although boat trains and specials continued to pass. The signal box was closed in 1955, replaced with a ground frame. The line closed in 1968.
The site of the station is now housing, Argyll Place. To the east of the site is a road bridge crossed by Jack's Road, which is all that now remains of the station.
Ardrossan South Beach
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier
Ardrossan Winton Pier
Other railway and industry locations
Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [2nd]
Auchenharvie Pit No 1
Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [1st]
Ardrossan North Goods
Ardrossan North Shed
Auchenharvie Signal Box
Auchenharvie Pit No 4
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|04/07/1932||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Ardrossan North to Uplawmoor [1st] closed to passengers, (except boat train specials). Stevenston Moorpark and Saltcoats North closed.