This junction is to the north east of Wishaw station. It is where a short connecting line from Shieldmuir North Junction meets the line coming south from Holytown Junction and allows a local passenger train going south from Motherwell to serve Wishaw station.
Wishaw station dates from 1880 and it better placed than its predecessor Wishaw [1st].
The junction opened with the 1901 Wishaw, Cambusnethan and Coltness Line (Caledonian Railway) of which the connection to Shieldmuir is the only remaining portion.
The signal box, on the west side of the line mid way between the north junction and station, opened in 1897.
Close to the junction was a connection to the Belhaven Works, on the south side of the connection and served from the Shieldmuir direction.
In 1950 Wishaw North Junction box took over Wishaw South Junction box.
The box closed in 1973, replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre. The connection over to Shieldmuir was singled.
| Heathery Col Pit No 2|
Stenton Iron and Steel Works
Berryhill Coal Pit No 1
Wishaw Iron Works
Shieldmuir South Junction
Wishaw Ironstone Pit
Wishaw Steel Works
Whitegates Engineering Works
Wishaw Coal Pit
Royal Mail Scottish Distribution Centre
Wishaw Coal Pit
Wishaw Brick Works
Wishaw Oil Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Lanarkshire's Last Days of Steam
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway