Comrie

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Comrie (1893-1964)

Opened on the Crieff and Comrie Railway.
Opened on the Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway.

Description

This was a two platform station. At first, when a terminus, a platform and station building were not provided on the up side. After extension a second platform and building were provided.

A triangle of lines from the goods yard, south of the line approached from the east, allowed locomotive turning.

The signal box was accidentally burned down in 1951 and replaced with a hut. The box was to close in 1961, becoming a one-engine-in-steam location from Crieff Signalbox. Station closure came with the end of the Gleneagles-Crieff [2nd]-Comrie passenger service in 1964.

Portions of platform remain, particularly under the road bridge at the west end. The site is now a caravan park. Comrie Holiday Park

Comrie Viaduct was to the west.

Tags

Terminus station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


Dates

  /  /1897Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway
Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway authorised between Balquhidder Junction and Comrie.
25/09/1950Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway
Balquhidder to Comrie closed to freight.
01/10/1951Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway
Balquhidder to Comrie closed to passengers (and completely).
15/06/1964Crieff and Comrie Railway
Comrie to Crieff [2nd] closed to goods.

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

Branch Lines of Strathearn: Tourists, Tatties and Trains

Branch Lines of Strathearn: Tourists, Tatties and Trains

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

The Railways of Upper Strathearn: Crieff - Balquhidder

The Railways of Upper Strathearn: Crieff - Balquhidder