This station was about half a mile south of the village of Slamannan. In its final form [3rd] the passenger station and goods station were to the west of a level crossing, with Station Road. The single passenger platform was on the north side of the line with timber station building in North British Railway style. To the north of the passenger station was the goods yard, approached via a reversing spur west of the station. The railway was double track, there was a loop on the south side of the platform line. This ran from immediately west of the station for about a quarter of a mile east. For passenger trains the line was single track, for goods and minerals it was double.
This was at least the third version of the station, described as it was in 1914.
In 1860 the station [1st] was different. It had opened in 1840. It was on the south side of the single track line, west of the level crossing. It had a small timber station building, and short platform.
To the west were the Binniehill Coke Ovens (and mines). To the east the Balquhatstone Coke Ovens (and mines).
This station was closed and relocated with the addition of a loop.
In 1896 the loop ran further west than in 1914, terminating just west of Binniehill Coke Ovens. It ran further east too, running as far as Slopside, the junction for the mineral line to Limerig Colliery Pit No 1.
The station [2nd] was on the east side of the level crossing and north of the lines opposite the signal box. It had a platform, longer platform than the 1st station and a small narrow building. The goods yard, with goods shed, was on the west side of the level crossing, the reversing spur starting immediately wast of the crossing.
This rather mean station was replaced with the 3rd version, first described. To build this the reversing spur was moved further west to allow the platform. Because of the goods shed in the east end of the goods yard and its proximity to the new station the station building had to be built offset from it, just to its west. The platform from the 2nd station remained.
The station and line closed to passengers in 1930 and the signal box was reduced to a gate box. The railway east closed in 1930, a short portion remaining for the goods yard. The box closed in 1934. The goods station remained open until 1949.
The station site has been cleared to the west of station road, it is now a playpark. The trackbed to the east is a driveway. There is a bus stop on either side of the road here.
| Coal Pit|
Balquhatstone Colliery Pit No 7
Binniehill Coke Ovens
Balquhatstone Coke Ovens
Southfield Colliery Pit No 2
Balquhatstone Colliery Pit No 8
Airdriemain Engine Shed
Limerigg Colliery Pit No 5
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Ballochney Junction to Causewayend [SR] opened. Slamannan, Avonbridge, Bowhouse, Causewayend [SR] opened.
|/ /1899||Prestonlinks Mine (Prestonpans)|
Bought by Nimmo & Co (Slamannan) transferred from Forth Collieries Ltd.
|01/05/1930||Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBallochney Railway
Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway|
Coatbridge (Greenside Junction) (excluded) to Manuel Low Level (excluded) closed to passengers. Commonhead, Rawyards, Airdrie Hallcraig Street, Whiterigg stations on the Ballochney Railway closed. Longriggend, Slamannan, Avonbridge, Blackston Junction, Bowhouse, Causewayend [MR] [2nd] closed.
|/ /1940||Slamannan Railway|
Slamannan (excluded) to Avonbridge (excluded) closed to freight.
Rawyards (excluded) to Ballochney Junction to Slamannan closed to freight. (Requires checking.)
Vanished Railways of West Lothian