This was a station, junction and yard. The station consisted of a single platform on the south side of the line. The alternative spelling Blackstone was used in some timetables at varying dates.
The station opened in 1862/3 around the time that the New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways) fully opened, a time of expansion of the Monkland Railways. Other stations opened between Blackston Junction and Bathgate at this time, neighbouring stations on the Slamannan Railway opened in the 1840s.
The junction was between the Slamannan Railway and the Torbanehill and Bathgate Branch (Monkland Railways). The line ran west to Avonbridge. To the east branch ran south east to Bathgate and main line north east to Causewayend [SR].
All lines were originally single track, with no yard.
The line was doubled from Avonbridge (a loop laid east of that station to west of Blackston) and north east to Causewayend [SR]. A goods loop was laid north of the platform from the west to the east of the station. The Bathgate route was single track.
Blackston Junction Yard was on the north side of the line, running west from the station and junction. It was approached from the east.
The signal box was on the south side of the line, opposite the yard. It opened in 1892.
The lines closed to passengers in 1930, the box closed in 1936 and the line closed completely in 1964, the yard having been cut back considerably before closure.
The site has reverted to nature, with some traces of the platform remaining.
Causewayend [MR] [1st]
Causewayend [MR] [2nd]
Manuel High Level
| Blackston Junction Yard|
Blackstone Colliery Pit No 1
Blackstone Colliery Pit No 2
Muiravonside Colliery Gateside Pit
Blackstone Colliery Pit No 3
East Roughrigg Colliery Pits Nos 3
Avon Viaduct [Westfield]
East Roughrigg Colliery Pits Nos 4
East Roughrigg Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Eastrigg Colliery Pit No 2
Gateside Nos 1 and 2 Collieries
Righead Coal Pit
Craigrigg Colliery Pit No 1
Westfield Paper Mill
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1862||Slamannan Railway|
Longriggend, Blackston Junction opened. Arbuckle closed.
|01/05/1930||Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBallochney Railway
Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway|
Coatbridge (Greenside Junction) (excluded) to Manuel Low Level (excluded) closed to passengers. Commonhead, Rawyards, Airdrie Hallcraig Street, Whiterigg stations on the Ballochney Railway closed. Longriggend, Slamannan, Avonbridge, Blackston Junction, Bowhouse, Causewayend [MR] [2nd] closed.
|01/05/1930||Torbanehill and Bathgate Branch (Monkland Railways)|
Blackston Junction to Bathgate Upper closed to passengers. Westfield and Bathgate Lower stations closed.
|/ /1960||Slamannan Railway|
Blackston Junction (excluded) to Bowhouse (excluded) closed to freight
|28/12/1964||Torbanehill and Bathgate Branch (Monkland Railways)|
Blackston Junction to Westfield Paper Mill (excluded) closed to freight
Avonbridge to Blackston Junction to closed to freight.
Vanished Railways of West Lothian