Cleland

Location type

Station

Names and dates

Bellside (1869-1879)
Omoa (1879-1941)
Cleland (1941-)

Station code: CEA National Rail ScotRail
Where: North Lanarkshire, Scotland
Opened on the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway).
Open on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Shotts.

Description

This is two platform station with a car park, footbridge and permanent way siding on its north side, approached from the east.

The main station building, on the westbound platform, survived until the early 1990s.

It was originally named Bellside, for its location, then Omoa for the nearby village and former iron works, and then Cleland when Cleland [1st] closed.

To the east is the Cleland Viaduct. To the west was Bellside Junction, a 1869 curve (same date as the line through the station) running north to Langbyres Junction on the 1864 Morningside Junction to Salsburgh Goods branch (this passed under the line just east of the station). This curve also served Omoa Yard, north of the station, the sole remaining siding of which is the permanent way siding.

To the west of the station was a tramway associated with the Omoa Iron Works. This predated the present railway and closed with its opening. West of Bellside Junction was Omoa Siding which connected with that tramway, rebuilt as a railway, to reach the iron works site.

The branch from Bellside Junction closed in 1966 and the signal box was taken over by the Motherwell Signalling Centre in 1981.

Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
03/08/2020


Dates

  /  /1881Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Authorisation for the Airdrie Branch granted - a group of lines called the Lanarkshire Lines. The Airdrie Branch was to run via Whifflet Upper on the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway) to Airdrie [CR]. The 'Loop' or 'Lanarkshire Lines' were to run from Airdrie [CR] to Newhouse and beyond, making connection with the existing mineral lines, Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway), near Omoa. Branches to Chapelhall Iron Works, Calderbank Iron Works and Gartness, serving the Gartness Malleable Iron Works, also authorised.

Books


Vanished Railways of West Lothian