This is a two platform station with a car park on the west side.There are steps up to the road bridge to the north to reach the southbound platform. The station is to the east of Dalry itself.
The original 1840 station had two platforms. The passenger station was built on the north side of Blair Road, the goods yard was to the south.
The passenger station had slightly staggered platforms with the main building on the northbound platform and another on the southbound.
To the north were turnplates on the west side, on a siding approached from the north, with sidings running directly west from the turnplates to the Bridgend Mills. The southbound platform was a little to the north of the southbound to accommodate a siding which passed its south end and ran to the furnace foots of the Blair Iron Works on the east bank of the Garnock. It continued to Carsehead Pit No 2. The siding (Blair and Co^s ^Iron Siding^) was approached from the south.
To the south were loops on the west side of the line, sidings for an ironstone mine on the east side and a tramroad to the furnace tops at the Blair Iron Works (Blair and Co^s ^Coal Siding^) .
A more conventional two platforms was later built to the south of the road bridge. The original station was cleared. The siding to Carsehead pit remained open to the north.
The main station building was on the west side, by the road bridge, with a footbridge to the southbound platform on which there was a waiting room.
This station had the goods yard on the west side, approached from the south, and some sidings on the east side. The signal box, ^Dalry Station^ was on the west side and south of the station alongside the goods yard turn out.
The station was rebuilt again in 1906 to become a four platform station. The railway was quadrupled as far north as Brownhill Junction and south to Dalry Junction. The fast lines were between two island platforms (the platforms from the previous station) and the slow lines were on the outer lines of the two island platforms. The main station building was again replaced, with a new building on the west side by the road bridge. Platforms buildings were also provided, with large glazed canopies (the northbound island^s building was slightly larger). A covered footbridge connected the main building to the platforms.
The goods yard was altered, as part of it was robbed to build the new station. The goods shed survived but some extra sidings were added to the west.
The line to Carsehead pit now served Carsehead Brick Works and the Blair Foundry.
Dalry Station signal box was replaced with Dalry No 2 Signal Box, a little to the north of its predecessor and still on the west side at the yard turn out. To the north a new Dalry No 1 Signal Box was provided. It was north of the bridge over the River Garnock at the north end of the station.
Dalry No 1 box closed around 1919, taken over by No 2. No 2 was extended around 1947.
In 1984 the slow and fast lines were taken out of use between the station and Swinlees Junction, where the Dalry Loops now remain.
No 2 signal box was closed in 1986 and replaced by the Paisley Signalling Centre as part of the Ayrshire electrification. The remaining two platforms at the station were rebuilt to create today^s station, the third reconstruction of the station.
Dalry Junction [Station]
| Blair Iron Siding|
Blair Coal Siding
Blair Iron Works
Merksworth Branch Junction
Blair Colliery No 7 Pit
Blair Colliery No 1
Stoopshill Pit Coal and Limestone
Dalry Junction Turntable
Dalry Chemical Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|04/04/1843||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Kilmarnock line from Dalry opened.
|18/04/1966||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Dalry to Kilmarnock closed to local passenger trains.
|27/06/1966||Kilbarchan Loop (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Elderslie (Cart Junction) to Dalry (Brownhill Junction) closed to passengers.
|01/10/1973||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Dalry to Kilmarnock closed to all traffic.