The Dalzell Steel Works was developed alongside the existing Dalzell Malleable Iron Works of 1871, the West Coast Main Line (just south of Motherwell station and close to Motherwell Junction) by David Colville and Sons. The malleable iron works were just to the south and now part of the steel works site.
Before construction this was a relatively green field site, except for some small coal mines at Coursington (the Dalzell Collieries Nos 2 and 3).
An unusual layout allowed trains to enter/leave the works from the up (southbound) line or, by means of a large oval loop, enter/leave from the down (northbound) line which passed under the main line to reach the large oval.
Originally this was the ^Dalzell Iron and Steel Works^. The works progressively extended east until all the land east to the Lanarkshire Steel Works was occupied.
With the opening of the Ravenscraig Steel Works much of the iron and steel production was shifted offsite and Dalzell focused on steel products. The last open hearth furnace closed in 1978.
Today concast slabs travel from other steel works to be rolled.
The works was closed by Tata Steel in 2015 but was re-opened by Liberty Steel in 2016 (Liberty Steel - Dalzell ) who also own the Lochaber Aluminium Works.
| Dalzell Malleable Iron Works|
Motherwell Signalling Centre
Motherwell South Signal Box
Coursington Colliery Pit No 2
Dalzell Works Signal Box
Glasgow Rolling Stock and Plant Works
Colville^s Sidings Signal Box
Lanarkshire Steel Works Signal Box
Motherwell Colliery No 3 Watsonville Colliery
Coursington Road Junction
Coursington Colliery Pit No 3
Park Street Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1881||Dalzell Steel Works|
Dalzell Steel Works opened in Motherwell.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)