Brechin North Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Brechin North Junction (1895-1934)

Opened on the Brechin and Edzell District Railway.

Opened on the Forfar and Brechin Railway.


Description

Opened


This was a junction between the Forfar and Brechin Railway lines (opened 1895) and the Brechin and Edzell District Railway line (opened 1896).

The signal box was on the north side of the lines at the junction.

Four way junction


From 1896 to 1917 this was a four way junction. Two tracks ran from here to Brechin, the west belonging to the Forfar and Brechin Railway (with catch points protecting Brechin from runaways) and the east to the Brechin and Edzell District Railway. One track ran to Brechin East Junction belonging to the Forfar and Brechin Railway (although not marked thus on contemporary OS maps). The single track railway to Forfar South Junction ran parallel to the single track railway to Edzell for a mile west, giving the appearance of a double track railway. Crossovers existed at the junction allowing access from Edzell and Forfar to Brechin and Bridge of Dun.

Three way junction


The Brechin North Junction to Brechin East Junction line was lifted in 1917, although a short length was left as a siding from the junction. This link was not reinstated.

Parallel single tracks


The signal box closed in 1934. After this date the lines to Forfar South Junction and Edzell ran as parallel single track railways from Brechin through to the division between the lines.

Closure


The line to Forfar South Junction closed in 1958 and that to Edzell in 1964.

Today


The formation of the junction can still be made out, the location being a footpath.


Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map