This station was located between the upper and lower Ballochney Inclines on a short level section. It was at the junction between the Ballochney Railway and the Airdrie Branch Railway which ran to Airdrie Hallcraig Street.
To the west there were sidings on the south side, accessed from the junction (safety sidings from around 1860). To the east was the junction.
The later form of the station was a single platform on the north side of the junction with a North British Railway style station building. A signal box was located to the south side of the junction. The Hallcraig branch closed to passengers in 1870, eventually resulting in a change in name for the station here. A signal box opened in 1888. It could be switched out from 1927 (just before closure to passengers in 1930) and survived until 1959, around the time this ceased to be a junction (1956).
The railway closed here in 1964, the line from the west to Hallcraig being the last to close. The trackbeds have since been landscaped and turned into a footpath.
Airdrie Hallcraig Street
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Mavisbank Pit|
Chapelside Boiler Works
Kippsbyre No 3 Pit
Airdrie Gas Works
Kippsbyre No 4 Pit
Coal and Ironstone Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1828||Ballochney Railway|
Commonhead station opened?
|01/05/1930||Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBallochney Railway
Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway|
Coatbridge (Greenside Junction) (excluded) to Manuel Low Level (excluded) closed to passengers. Commonhead, Rawyards, Airdrie Hallcraig Street, Whiterigg stations on the Ballochney Railway closed. Longriggend, Slamannan, Avonbridge, Blackston Junction, Bowhouse, Causewayend [MR] [2nd] closed.
Closed between Commonhead and Rawyards.
Closed between Kipps Junction, Kipps Junction Incline Foot, Commonhead and Airdrie Hallcraig Street (then named Airdrie North Goods).