This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The main station building was on the northbound platform. The building is stone built and striking with an unusual rough hewn arrangement of the courses, seemingly random it is laid out on a grid. The architect was James Gowans. The main station building had a canopy. He also designed Creetown's main building, also opened 1861.
The loop ran west to Gibb's Lane and east over High Street to Lochee Goods, Camperdown Jute and Hemp Works and the line north to Baldovan.
The station was on a curve and a tall signal box (1893) was built on the westbound platform, high enough to see over the footbridge.
The station was on the deviation opened in 1861 to replace the Law Incline and Law Tunnel approach to Dundee Ward Road. The deviation joined the Dundee and Perth Railway at Ninewells Junction and trains ran on to Dundee West.
Closure to passengers was in 1955. The line remained in operation until 1967 for goods, latterly access to Fairmuir Goods and Maryfield Goods. The loop and box remained in use until the end.
The station building still stands, rebuilt in 1972 as the Lochee Burns Club. It has been extended to the south.
To the east the west abutment of the bridge over the main road remains.
Offset at Back of Law
Ninewells Junction [Station]
Dundee Ward Road
Baldovan and Downfield
Dundee Trades Lane
| Camperdown Jute and Hemp Works|
Esplanade Junction Signal Box
Dundee Ward Road Shed
Dundee West Mineral Yard
Dundee West MPD
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
James Gowans designed his own houses. His 'Rockville' in Napier Road, Edinburgh was more extraordinary than the station buildings, being described as 'The Pagoda'. Although demolished the boundary wall, with similar seemingly random but with a geometrically complex pattern laid out on a grid, still stands on the north west and north east corners of the intersection of Napier Road and Spylaw Road. 'Rockville' was replaced with 'The Limes' where unusual gateposts still stand.
|/ /1881||Dundee and Newtyle Railway
Dundee and Newtyle Deviations (Dundee and Perth Railway)|
Deviation from Ninewells Junction to by Fairmuir Junction opened. Liff, Victoria [Dundee], Lochee stations opened.
|10/01/1955||Newtyle, Eassie and Glammis RailwayDundee and Newtyle Railway|
Alyth Junction to Dundee West closed to passengers. Newtyle [2nd], Auchterhouse [2nd], Dronley, Baldragon, Baldovan and Downfield, Lochee, Liff closed.