Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Glasgow Central Railway.
This station is at the east end of a flying junction from Partick, leading to an unusual V shape.
The adaptation of the former layout of the lines here explains the shape.
The original station was located between Stobcross West Junction and Stobcross East Junction.
A goods line ran down from the Stobcross Railway to the Queens Dock - this is now the westbound line. The westbound platform is the site of the former Stobcross Goods Low Level.
A double track line ran from Glasgow Central via Stobcross to Partick Central - this is now the single track eastbound track. The west end of this tunnel has been realigned to emerge onto the Stobcross Railway.
The Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway met the Glasgow Central Railway here (see Stobcross West Junction). The original layout here was that this was a two platform platform on either side of a double track line with a signal box at either end. The junction between the two lines was in the tunnel to the west of the station, controlled by the west box until it was taken over by the east box in 1929. The east box controlled the line east and access to the Queens Dock lines to the south (see Stobcross East Junction). This box part of a resignalling in 1956 which stretched east to Bridgeton Cross [CR]. The route to Kelvin Bridge closed in 1960.
The original single storey street level building had a curved frontage. It has not survived.
The station was to close to passengers in 1959, to goods and minerals in 1965. The incline down from Kelvinhaugh Junction, which served sidings nearby, closed completely in 1968/9. The station re-opened in the remodelled form on the Argyle Line in 1979.
Scottish Event Campus
The SSE Hydro
On the south bank of the river, further away
Glasgow Science Centre
Stobcross House and Finnieston House were to the south of the later station site, swept away during development of the Queens Dock.
Charing Cross [GC and DR]
Kinning Park [Subway]
Shields Road [Subway]
St Georges Cross [Subway]
Glasgow Central Low Level
| Stobcross Goods Low Level|
Stobcross West Junction
Stobcross Depot Tunnel
Stobcross Goods [NBR]
Stobcross East Junction
Stobcross Low Level Ground Frame
St Vincent Crescent Signal Box
St Vincent Crescent Tunnel
Verreville Pottery Works
Stobcross Street Tunnel
Scottish Event Campus
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Line opened by the North British Railway. The Caledonian Railway obtained permission for running powers to Stobcross and for goods yards at Partickhill Goods [CR] and Stobcross. The Caledonian managed to gain join ownership of the Stobcross high level to Stobcross low level connecting line.
|/ /1891||Glasgow Central Railway|
Deviations at Stobcross and abandonment of original authorised alignment approved.
|26/11/1894||Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway
Glasgow Central Railway|
Balornock Junction to Possil Junction, Maryhill [CR] and Stobcross (L&D railway no 4) opened to minerals and goods. This gave the Caledonian Railway an independent line to the Queens Dock lines.
|01/05/1896||Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway|
Maryhill Junction to Bellshaugh Junction to Clydebank Riverside, Partick West Junction to Stobcross and Bellshaugh Junction to Kirklee Junction opened for goods. Kelvinside, Partick Central, Scotstoun Goods opened to goods. Branch into the Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd] opened.
|10/08/1896||Glasgow Central Railway|
Maryhill Central to Glasgow Central Low Level to Glasgow Cross opened. Maryhill Central, Kirklee, Botanic Gardens, Kelvin Bridge, Stobcross, Anderston Cross and Glasgow Central Low Level stations opened.
|/ /1956||Glasgow Central Railway|
Line re-signalled with power boxes at Bridgeton Cross [CR] and Stobcross.
|03/08/1959||Glasgow Central Railway|
Stobcross and Anderston Cross stations closed.
|02/11/1959||Glasgow Central Railway|
Maryhill Central to Stobcross (via Kelvin Bridge) closed to passengers. (No stations remained to be closed.)
|05/11/1979||Glasgow Central Railway|
The Argyle Line; Stobcross to Strathclyde Junction and Rutherglen Junction re-opened to passengers. Stations at; Finnieston [2nd], Anderston, Glasgow Central Low Level, Argyle Street, Dalmarnock and Rutherglen.
|/ /1986||Stobcross Railway
Glasgow Central Railway|
Finnieston [2nd] renamed Exhibition Centre.
|09/12/1994||Glasgow Central Railway|
The River Kelvin bursts its banks and floods the disused tunnels from Kelvin Bridge to Stobcross, where it floods the open Argyle Line railway. The route through Glasgow Central Low Level is closed between Partick and Rutherglen and trains are diverted onto the Sunnyside Junction to Whifflet section of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway for access to Motherwell. This remains in operation for around nine months.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)